In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thinking about a suppressor for my AR-10

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

I know very little about suppressors. How much noise attenuation can I expect?

How long is the wait time?

Can I switch it to other firearms legally?

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******

Sure miss Mark

• redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭

My brother took a little over a year to get his.

He hasn't shot it yet so i can't tell you how well it works.

You can put it on whatever you want.

Wait time is supposed to be better with the e file but with the new arm brace rule who knows now.

That is about all I know.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Cuts about half the noise.

Only way to make it "quite" is to use subsonic ammo.

Suppressor can be used on more than one gun legally.

In today's world time to get approval , who knows.

I recommend getting the suppressor set up in a trust ownership.

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

My approval came back in about 4 months but it's been so long ago that that number doesn't mean much. I have shot 22LR and 45ACP. I felt the suppression was dramatic, especially the 45, but nothing like the movies. I wasn't aware of or even remember specifying what firearm they were to be used. Worth the money in my opinion.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Reduction is roughly 35 decibels, still noisy but you could "probably" get away without hearing protection. You will also need an adjustable gas block.

Current times are 8 months paper and around 2-3 efile.

Yes, the tax stamp is for the silencer so whatever host gun you put it on is irrelevant. A 30 caliber silencer can be used on most calibers 300 ultra mag on down(some are stronger than others so some will only be rated for 308 or 300 blackout but most are built to handle everything)

Trusts are fine if that's what you want to do but most of the benefits of a trust went away in 2018. Unless you want to add others to a trust so they can use your silencer.

Here is our most popular seller, the Yankee Hill Resonator 2. Just a good bargain, not too heavy at around 16oz. We sell them for around $580, of course there is cheaper ones and there's better ones but cost more, just stating it is the one most of our customers select out of the 15 or so .30 cans we have on hand.

https://yhm.net/products/resonator-r2---30-cal.-suppression-system/

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭

Does utilizing a suppressor on an auto affect the action?

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

Noise reduction is a relative term. Many factors affect the true dB reduction. Butchdog2 already said most of what I would have.

Barrel length and ammo choice will have some effect. The big fly in the soup bowl is 'bounce back noise' that occurs when shooting toward or past most any obstruction. The other is bullet signature resulting from supersonic projectiles' sonic boom.

An AR10 (or any semi-auto) will not be as quiet as a manual operated action.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

So, in reality, it's not a good idea?

• shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭✭

Oh no, it's a GREAT idea but it's not quite like the movie representations.

I have a bolt action 6.5 Creedmoor suppressor host that is an absolute joy to shoot and hearing safe to boot. The combination of small (ish) bore and very streamlined bullets creates an excellent combination of ballistic traits which contribute to the low noise signature.

Not all combinations of caliber, barrel length, and suppressor design offer such great results. Gas operated, semi-auto rifles create lots of noise during cycling--just a fact of life.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Shooting a semi auto 22 with standard ammo. All you hear is the bolt cycle the bullet hitting the target. Very unusual.

edited January 2023

A suppressed bolt action 22 rifle (no action noise) shooting sub-sonic ammo is quieter than a moderate power pellet rifle.

A semi-auto (like a 10/22) shooting sub-sonic adds the sound of the cycling action but is still fairly quiet.

The same suppressed 10/22 shooting HV ammo is noticeably louder. Generally louder than a 17HMR with a similar construction suppressor showing how the streamlined .177 bullet going 50% faster makes less noise than the round nose 22 bullet.

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭

A bolt action 22 with CB Longs is just also very quiet.

Back to the centerfire semi-auto comments: Just how much 'noise' can be attributed to mechanical origin is very apparent if using a piston driven AR. Turn the adjustment to 0(off) and the action is manual operated. BIG difference in sound vs semi-auto mode.

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

Ive got three or four of them and maybe mine are not a good type, but Im not impressed. Hard to determine much of a difference. Have one on .22, 9mm, 300 blackout.

edited January 2023

Using sub-sonic ammo is the key to good suppression. .22, 9mm, 300BO all CAN be quiet with proper ammo.

22 and 9mm are difficult to quiet due to their round or flat nose profile. 300 BO muzzle blast can be quieter than the bullet impacting the target with the right ammo.

If you are/were expecting 'movie quiet', unfortunately that only happens is certain combinations.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Just put a pillow over the end of the bbl.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain