In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Are we alone ?

pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

In the best spirit of does sasquatch exist my questions , are we alone in the universe? Do aliens exist or are people just blowing smoke up our butts? What say you all?

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******

Wayyyyy too big to be just us.

I believe in aliens,bigfoot, ogo pogo, loch nest. I wish they'd spend half as much money exploring earth and our oceans as they have on space exploration .

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭

No way are we the only lfe as we know it in the universe

Billions of chances and billions of chances entire species and races have come and gone ;

Even now a lit of people think and speculate earth has been thru many events that took us back to basic zero with just enought humans or close to repopulate over the eons

And explain why so much old impressive buildings and items we can not explain how they were made are left over from earlier advanced cilivazations

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, I think it’s just us. Guess I’m a raging narcissist. Haha! 😉

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Makes two of us! 😁

Also, why do "they" keep traveling light years just to pop in and out with no real trace? If I traveled LIGHT YEARS........I would at least ask to us the bathroom before I turned and went back! 😁

Also, no to big foot

Maybe to loch Ness, that is a DEEP hole.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

There is undoubtedly intelligent life out there. But it and we will never meet. Unless we do not understand the laws of physics, space travel to or from beyond our immediate few neighbor stars is impossible. It's a simple matter of distance and speed.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭

If you believe in mathematical probability, then 100% we are not alone. I wonder how often we have been visited and the famous "Star Trek" line has been uttered, "There is no intelligent life down there." As I look around myself at todays world I find it hard not to realize that the no "intelligent life here on Earth" might not be dead on. But we must always remember we have Border Collies so I guess intelligent life does exist on earth!!😂😁🤣

The only way Big Foot exists is if there is a different dimension that Big Foot travels between. Something man sized cannot stay hidden day after day. So either BF pops in for a visit every now and then, retreating to his/hers safe place in another dimension or BF doesn't exist. Doesn't exist would be my opinion.

Loch Ness?? Nessie?? Oh please. Zero probability!

• Options

There's also a 100% mathematical probability we have not been visited. If you accept that travel above the speed of light is impossible, then it is also physically impossible for any aliens to have visited us. The distances are far too great and the likelihood of an advanced civilization within our own galaxy so vanishingly small that it is just an impossibility that they are flitting around in our atmosphere willy nilly.

Further, how would they know we are here? Our earliest radio transmissions have been travelling only about 100 years, and that's the universe's equivalent of a millimeter on the way from LA to New York.

There may indeed be intelligent species out there - but none of them will ever meet.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

I believe Rocky is on the right track. Barring the idea that "they" have mastered a wormhole, folded space, developed warp speed etc . the distance is too big .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭

There are others but we will never meet

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

If I were to put 10 coins in my pocket numbered 1 through 10, chances of pulling out number 5 would be one in ten. If I were to pull the coins out of my pocket 1 through 10 in order the chances are one in ten billion. To claim that this life, and all other forms of life on this planet just happened would be the equivalent of throwing a five thousand piece puzzle in the air and having it land in place. Chances of that happening would be around one to the two hundredth power, that’s a one with two hundred zeros behind it.

Something on the size and scale of the universe did not just happen, it was thought out planned and created. There is a reason why solar systems and galaxies are so far apart.

Will we ever go to other galaxies? No, distance is to great. Is there life on other planets in the galaxies? We will never know, or maybe better we shouldn’t know.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭

if you can travel forward and back in time at the same time, you will arive in the present at any distance you go...... owles explained this to me

• Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭

I just don't know, but I will sleep on it.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited January 2023

The question answers itself. "We" can not be alone, as there are more than one, axiomatically.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭

No proof exists, so I have to conclude there is no life as we know it in Outer Space. Is it worth arguing about? No.

Rush Limbaugh was wise when he forbade two topics on his show: Religion and UFOs.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Of course we are not alone, do you think that THIS is the best God can do?

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

The vastness of space, just the Milky Way alone is to much for us mortals to understand.

Look up it's size and how fast we are traveling through space, just didn't happen by chance.

If there is life out there we most likely will never know it.

Marvin the Martian would zap us with his Q-36 space modulator if he saw one episode of the VIEW.

Hope to not stir the pot but in the beginning we were the best but we allowed someone to foul us up.

Mods, zap this if it is inaproiate.

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭

According to Google our solar system has 100,000,000,000 stars. They said each star, on average, has at least one planet orbiting it. Let's say 0.01 % of these planets have some form of life. That means 10,000,000 planets have life. Let's say 0.01 % of these planets have intelligent life. That comes out to 1,000 planets have intelligent life!!

Assuming these planets really have intelligent life, what is the possibility that on checking us out from afar they want nothing to do with us?? If they were truly intelligent why would they want to interract with us??

• Options

How would they even know we're here to "check us out"?

Hypothetical numbers aside, of all the stars and planets out there, how many do we know have life? Answer: One.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting topic. So only 1 Adam & Eve🤔

• Options

Yes only 1, but could have been others before.

I was not there to verify if you know what I mean.

• Options

Lots of search for intelligent life going on since so little is able to be found on our own planet.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭

If they are that advanced and have been around for millions of years the capabilities they have can only be imagined.. they would know all the shortcuts..and what is on the other side of a black hole...?? Has that been figured out yet..???

• Options
    bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Didn't one group of astronauts refer to seeing "them" sitting on the rim. " They are watching us."

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭

It is always curious to me that when folks talk about “aliens,” they always assume them to be more advanced, intelligent etc. Why is that? Could be a bunch of dang idiots……. IF they existed.

• Options

Very well could be cave men type folks.

Some say we started out that way.

• Options

Do NOT go down that evolution vs creation worm hole, gents. Sure way to get thread lock.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭

No I don't believe all the theories

But spend a evening or ten lol

Watching a lot of the shows trying to figure out even just our ancestors or possible life in the universe

Truly interesting and some even make good points on their theories wiith their evenndince supporting them

Seems we as a people will always have way more questions and guesing than answeres we just have to accept so much is beyond our capacity to understand

Easy to see how so many early people well even us are so overwhelmed

Even the tiny bits we have learned are just bread crumbs in the scope of things

If time travel was possible I would enjoy going back to witnesses so much that has been lost

Going forward would or could be truly scary of what will be come of us

Lol. remember the first planet of the apes movie and they find half the statue of liberty on the closing scene

• Options

Probably plenty of dumb ones out there that just can't get here to tell us about themselves.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭

I think that UFO aliens have visited earth. The Roswell crash is a good example. However I never have seen a UFO.

Former forum member zipperzap had a detailed story, he and a buddy were camping out in the desert, and late at night they saw a UFO land on the ridge about a quarter mile away. It set there for fifteen minutes, and then it flew away.

• Options
    edited January 2023

Allen, the Roswell "crash" is the biggest bag of hokum ever perpetrated. It all started with a smartaleck Public Affairs officer making a joke comment to a reporter about what was clearly a mere weather balloon. Everything after that has been fabricated out of wild imagination.

Here's the bottom line: We may not be alone, but we will forever remain lonely.

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

That’s exactly what I would expect the NASA comms guy to say! 😀

• Options

Because it's the truth.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

It might be a stretch to say this planet harbors intelligent live when you look at some of the stuff we have done to each other over the past few thousand years.

• Options
    Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah but what if they land and say "Take Us To Your Leader"... What do we do then..???

• Options

I guess we give them a link to the WEF and Klaus Schwab.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain