In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******

That bear is gonna come from behind and have him

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,230 ✭✭✭✭

Double barrel shotgun vs. bear. Hmmm.

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭

Probably would have done just what that fella did...... save my two shots for as long as possible to make them count.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭

Depends on what he had loaded in that shotgun.... Birdshot, not sure two at close range would make a difference.

Slugs or buckshot would be adequate to do real damage. If that was the case, I would have shot the bear on the 2nd charge for sure.

Many years ago I went bear hunting in Canada. I was bow hunting, but was told by the outfitter to bring my 12 ga. and have it loaded with a slug in the chamber, followed by 00 buck, followed by a another slug and so on.....The outfitter said that is what his guides carried in the field.

The unfortunate end to the story for me was the forest fire that swept through the hunting area a few weeks before my hunt. Still had a great time fishing that week instead.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******

Yep.

On another note, I have never heard of grizzlys doing bluff charges. Very strange bear behavior. Very disconcerting.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭

I think the bear just wanted him out of the area, cubs close by maybe, or maybe food close. Got to give the guy credit for continuing to keep filming.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭

At least he had a shotgun.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭

Tough call

I do know a underwear change would be in order

Or maybe it had occured early on the smell changed the bears mind

I would wager he had bird shot and knew it was a last ditch effort to just get the bear mad

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭

I can bet he had 7 or 8 shot in that double and no, I would have kept backing out like he did and thank God for the near miss.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

At close range, very close, shot size won't make much difference

A 300 pound black bear bluff charged me once, it started walking away from me then charged back to about 20 feet, a bear at 20 feet is a brown shorts moment.

That video looked like more than just a bluff. Business at hand.

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭✭

In the type of woods he was in, what would he be hunting with 7 1/2 or 8 shot?? So maybe something more potent was in Mr. double barrel.

Yup. A true brown shorts moment!!

• Options

That looks like a Savage /Stevens double, not really made for bear hunting, I would say tree squirrels or possum, I mean IF you are using the DB for protection then that is an issue with me, plus it looks like the size of a 20 gauge. All speculating which is why I am always wrong.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I have been bluff charged quite a few times in the Wilderness and quite a few times in my back yard up in West Milford/Greenwood Lake NY/NJ. (Literally right on the line.) Always disconcerting.

1947 Chestnut log cabin on Bearfort Mtn. A/T on the ridge behind the house. Bear EVERYWHERE.

My cabin was very remote. I would come in well after dark and park in my back driveway in the woods. A pretty good walk through the woods to get to my cabin. Head on a swivel BIG TIME. Carry a weapon?? LOL, not where I lived. You'd go to Jail.

The 1st Bear fatality in NJ History, happened on the ridgtop behind my house a few years after I moved. I was not surprised. More up close and personal Bear encounters than anywhere I have Ever been. (And) I have been ALL Over.

Our neighborhood Constantly had Bear issues, Barrel Traps set up on a regular basis by DEC. The Bear were Entirely too comfortable there.

• Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭

probably would have shot

never know for sure until we are in that predicament

• Options

If we’re speculating, I would guess this video is out of Russia, it’s Eurasian Brown Bear, and that’s a Baikal shotgun.

Anybody got the details? I hear dogs in the video too, so guessing some kind of drive (deer, hogs) pushed the bear to him.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,335 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

The bear may have been charging at the dog, the presence of the dog may have helped keep the bear from completing the charges.

And, yes I'm afraid I would have shot it but not sure that would best choice ..................... still .................... it's a friggin Bear.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭

A few years ago, I was with a small group doing some research in eastern Greenland, close to the Arctic Circle. We had three native guides with us with the primary task of keeping watch for Polar Bears. Each guide was armed with a Remington 870 12 gauge with an extended magazine, loaded with conventional rifled slugs. I had a discussion with them as to why, of all the options available, they each chose an 870 and rifled slugs. It boiled down to experience. They didn't trust any kind of an autoloader to operate reliably in the cold and snow. Similarly, they had nothing good to say about sabot slugs which they had tried in rifled barrels. They chose a 12 gauge shotgun smooth bore because it applied the most massive bullet on target compared to a rifle. I then asked if they had tried 00 buck loads. They replied that they had, but had experienced several failures when the pellets failed to penetrate sufficiently. One guide described one encounter he had in which the buckshot pellets simply ricocheted off the bear. Luckily, his second round was a slug.

• Options

If we’re speculating, I would guess this video is out of Russia, it’s Eurasian Brown Bear, and that’s a Baikal shotgun.

Baikal shotguns have a (bursting star pattern) on the action release top, that does not. Still think it Savage/ Stevens.

• Options

Hmm…. Good point. What do you make of those brass pins or something on top right and left where the stock meets the receiver? I looked through a whole bunch of makes/models in the suction side, and don’t see such pins (or similar) on anything.

• Options
    forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭

Could they be cocking indicator’s ,,,,,, I couldn’t see well enough on my phone.

• Options

Another point and Savage didn't have those, very interesting. OK, got to be Euro, since the sling is on there probably on a swivel on the barrel. The bear and the guy are both lucky though.