In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looking for help on what rifle scope to purchase

Peter ZPeter Z Member Posts: 6

I am new to gun ownership and recently purchased a 2019 Anschutz 1416 (22lr). It did not come with iron sights or a scope. I did some scope research (you tube & google). This is what I think I want: 2-16x?, FFP, parallax adjustment (down to 15yrds), fully multicoated lens. I found (2) 2-16x (Bushnell which is a SFP and a Konus which I never heard of that I think is FFP). Questions: 1) is Konus any good & who has the better reputation. 2) What else should I be looking for (tube size etc). 3) Any other scopes I should be looking at (I looked at the Arken but I believe they only have 4 scopes and they don't have one that has a 2 min magnification. I paid $900 (+ tax, shipping & fees ) for the rifle and looking to spend between $400-$600 for a scope. The range I am planning on joining has a 200 yr rifle range but there is another local range that has a longer rifle range that if I get any good may join. SO WHAT SHOULD I GET? THANKS

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

You will get some good info here, but rimfirecentral.com might be a great place to check out. They have dedicated forums for many different brands and types of rifles, as well as forums for ammo and optics. Not to say you won't get some good info here, but them boys over there are pretty serious. Kinda like the men's slow pitch team who drinks beer after the game, versus the pro teams who watch game films afterwards....

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭

I support the Vortex also. You can always spend big money down the road.

• Options

Thanks guys. Like I said I'm new to this. I have been watching a vortex sponsored YouTube channel that is why I wanted a low mag of 2

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭

Nice rifle. It does deserve a good scope but like others have said 16x may be a bit much. Any adjustable objective rifle scope will work on a 22, just some aren't exactly practical. If you are hunting a 2x-7x is plenty. For the bench I like going up to 12x. On a calm day your Anschutz is a 100 yard gun. Forget 200+ yards because the slightest breeze will blow your shot way off the target. That being the case, you really don't need anything more than 12x for target shooting. In my opinion, right now the best bang for the buck is Vortex. You will need rings to mount the scope and be aware they must match the diameter of the scope tube. For instance Vortex makes similar scopes in 1" and 30mm. Bob

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

All my 22's have Bushnell trophy scopes, 3x9. You will basically be shooting under 100 yards with a 22lr. I wouldn't spend more that 150 bucks on a scope for a 22. Vortex is also a fantastic choice. You can catch some good sales right now. Just look around the internet. When you start shooting, you will discover that anything over a hundred yards with a 22, is going to be difficult to manage or sight in. Sure it can be done, but this gun was designed for short range. If you want something that will shoot a little further, Buy a 22 Hornet or 223. Both are low kick, but will reach out to longer distances with accuracy. Oakie

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I shoot ARA benchrest both sporter and unlimited. If you are shooting precision out to 200 yards nothing beats magnification. I have two Muller 8X32 scopes that run about $250 or so. I really like them. One sits in an Anschutz 1411-1413 and the other on my new Tikka TX-1. They are not a Nightforce for sure but a great value in my mind. You can spend the money saved on good ammo like Lapua Center-X or Eley Match or Tenex.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Thanks. I hear a lot of stuff (most likely from scope mfg) like you should spend as much on the scope as the rifle but then I see a YouTube video where the guy puts a $300 scope on a $3,000 rifle and a $3,000 scope on a $300 rifle. At long distances the cheaper scope on the more expensive rifle out preformed. In reality I will be doing target shooting at 100 yards or in so I think I should look for good glass and low end magnification.

• Options

Does the size of the objective bell matter on a scope for a 22lr? Also what about cant. The Anschutz came with what they call a dovetail rail. I can not tell if there is a cant to it. I think it is zero cant. Is can’t only in the rail or can you get can’t in the rings. I imagine if the rear ring is higher than the front you don’t need a rail with a cant.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

If you put a large objective scope on it, it might ruin the aesthetics of the rifle. There is no drop on your dovetail, it's flat. IIRC, there are some rings out there that have some drop in them, but not many. Rings are milled flat on the bottom of the scope surface, so if you have a lower ring in front, it will put a bind in the lower front of the rear ring, and a bind in the top rear of the front ring. Make sure you get a scope with an A/O on it, especially if you want to shoot at varying distances.

• Options
    patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

4X is good enough.

• Options

The Anschutz uses an 11MM (3/8") dovetail. It is a zero cant. You can buy dovetail to Picatinny adapters some with cant built in. I am going to disagree with low powered scopes at 100 yards. 16X would be my minimum for precision shooting. The 30MM tubes are going to let more light in and offer that advantage. I shoot a Nightforce 15X55 Competition on my TURBO benchrest gun at 50 yards. I use 55 power and prefer it, you set up the rifle for wind drift and watch the flags until the wind matches your hold.

What are you going to be shooting at? if it is eggs then 16X might be good, if it is for 100 yards paper shooting more power lets you hold for wind more accurately. It is amazing how much a light breeze will blow a 22LR bullet even at 50 yards. Get the wind a bit wrong and you go from a 100 to a 25 real fast.

• Options

I am glad that someone with practical experience chimed in about the effects of wind on 22lr bullets that I alluded to in my response. Years ago, shooting at benchrest 50 targets really made me appreciate the power of a breeze.

I will warn the OP that 30mm tubes are not necessarily brighter that an 1". Brightness is more dependent on objective lens size and the diameter of the erector tube assembly. Usually the makers use the same erector tube diameter in both 1" and 30mm scopes. This allows more adjustment for long distant shooting. This restricts how much light actually makes it through the scope. Of course the quality of the lenses and the coatings also have a ton to do with light transmission and your Nightforce is top of the line in those regards.

I was lucky enough to work with a retired optical engineer for quite a few years and learned more about scope design and performance than I thought was necessary at the time.😀 Bob

• Options

I would appreciate it if anyone could provide a list (in order of importance) of what I should be looking for in a scope. Please include specifics. I would even be interested in specific models. I would like a scope that I can use for both short and long range shooting. I don't plan on ever selling the rifle and would like a scope I can grow into. If I get good I think it would be fun to enter competitions. Thanks for all the advice you guys have already given me.

• Options

Look at Nightforce and buy what you can afford. Eurooptic.com has very helpful staff then when you find what you want look on the auction side of GB for it.

• Options
    edited January 2023

Look for a Vortex Viper HS 4x - 16x X44. Usually can be found for a little over $500. If you do a search online I bet you could find one on sale for a couple of hundred bucks less. Bob

• Options
    dmscncdmscnc Member Posts: 1

Burris scopes are nice

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently he didn't care for these comments and repeated the post in the 'experts' area.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,348 ******

No he posted both places about the same time, give the guy a break he's new here, welcome @Peter Z to the forums and as you can see the General Discussion forum get's more responses usually and faster than the Ask the Experts, also in the ATE forum posts are limited to 10 responses.