In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

On the lines of lucky unlucky shots

Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

I had a co worker we worked together 20 + years

Any way his neighbors dog was always getting into his trash

He set a bb gun on the porch to have handy

sure enought the dog came down the street into his trash

He said I mostly just wanted to scare him it was just a plain old bb gun

He shot and hit the dog in its family jewels it took off yelping running as fast as it could

Then collapsed dead on its owners porch

His best guess it was a older dog the stress of being hit and running home caused it to have a heart attack

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Good lesson to keep your dog locked up.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

I would have shot the owner in the family jewels, not the dog.

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭

Your friend should have set a bowl out for the dog with food in it, then he wouldn't have had to deal with a trash raiding dog.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭

Out here in farming country roaming dogs are not tolerated. There was a pack of 4 or 5 which got into our geese and killed a bunch of them. That was almost 50 years ago and I still remember it like it was a month ago.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭

on a similar note I have squirrells that were raiding my bird feeder right off my back deck, the wife got onto me about shooting them so I decided to just try to hit them in the tail to scare em off. One big gray squirrell got brave and sat their one day and wouldn't run when I walked out on the deck. I took good aim from about 10 yards as it was sitting with it tail up its back and curled over. I hit it right at the top of the curl and about1/3 to 1/2 of it tail fell off to the ground that thing must have jumped 10 foot in the air and took off up the yard to the woods. I saw it off and on most of the rest of the summer, only thing was it was now gunshy and whenever it heard the back screen door it would take off up the nearest tree. bad thing was it must have lost most of its balance when I shot his tail in half and would constantly miss a limb it would jump for and fall out of the tree, I watche that thing fall out of trees the rest of the summer, but guess he didn't make it through the winter as I never saw him again come spring...........

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

One of my most guilty memories growing up. I had my Crossman pump BB gun, while in my early teens in W NC/NE TN, my cousins beagle jumped a rabbit and was tearing through the Tobacco field, (a major no no.) I loaded about 5 BB's in a row (shotgun like) and shot blindly after it tearing down a row.

Turns out on of my BB'* it right beside the Butt and it bled out within about 5-10 minutes. I felt so bad/guilty. (Rightfully So.) Learned a very valuable lesson that day.

Apologized to both my cousins (again) at a T-day gathering a couple years ago.

Feel terrible about it, to this day.