In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

2022 Property taxes are due...

Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,357 ******

Don't forget to pay em as I almost did... Not sure about all other states, but Texas starts charging late fees if not paid by the end of January.

Comments

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

My deadline was Dec. 31st., a done deal for 12 months. I hate December, all my taxes, city, state, local are due in that month.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options

I agree 100% Bruce! And they keep going up! Although I think I get a break somewhat next year after I turn 65...

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭

I am in Illinois and WHAT A SURPRISE, my taxes went UP. SHOCKING. Just got the notice in the mail. Land of Lincoln just keep piling it on, THANKS JB for all you don't do, pork chop.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭

We paid ours back before December 1st to take advantage of the early pay discount.

• Options

We don't get a discount here, it's the same amount from Oct-end of January then penalties are added each month, I thought I had paid em already last month, but something told me to make sure and so I went online and realized I hadn't yet but did earlier today to avoid any additional costs, I wish we would get an early pay discount, but since we don't I usually wait as long as I can...

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭✭

For all the taxes they collect in Illinois we have the worst roads in the country. I’ll put are bad roads up against anyones else’s bad roads any day of the week. LOL.

I’m pretty sure it’s in Illinois state works union agreement, that for every one person with a shovel digging 8 people must be standing by watching or your not allowed to dig.

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Minnesota has a "homestead credit" on your first residence, and you can pay half on May 1st and the other half on October 1st or pre-pay it all on May like I do. And like we're retired so our property taxes are based on income, so we get a property tax refund the following September. My taxes $2600 on a 220,000 value home, my BIL pays $4000 on a 300,000 value home. His home is newer and pays more taxes and is in a different county.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I think West Virginia would give Illinois a run for the money when it comes to bad roads.

• Options

Wow that's different @thorhammer we get a homestead credit on first home also, but ours are based upon what the county appraisers in Texas think it is worth, income has nothing to do with it, They try to raise the value each year and I have to protest to get it slightly lower than they say it's worth... I bought this place in 2000 with a mobile home on it, 20 acers for about $132,000.00 after about 4 years paid it off and started building a steel framed house. took about 3 years to complete enough to move in and basically gave the mobile home away for free, that was about 12 years ago, last years appraisal says it worth almost $700,000.00 and we pay taxes in this county where it is $600 and another county next to us where the school system the kids around here go to over $2000.00 and I don't have or ever had any kids... I never realized the states were so different on property taxes.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,572 ✭✭✭✭

sadly long long gone are the days when you could have your place paid off retire and and call it a day and live out your life but no the government has to drain every ounce of blood I mean money out of as long as your alive even dead in some cases .. you so really you never own your own home or land your renting it

My wife checked in the homesteading rule as I will turn 66 this year 65 is the rule so when paying our taxes she looked into it. for last years taxes

she told me to be eligible one big rule you had to make 32k or less a year just to get a discount on property taxes

gee how generous

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,665 ******

A few years ago, our county began splitting the taxes due into six months intervals. July 1 and December 1.

Guess what? The six months taxes due equal or exceed what they what they once were for an entire year.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,016 ******

Mortgage company takes care of mine. I just send them money monthly.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

in Wisconsin you get your property tax bill just before Christmas, you can pay 1/2 before feb. 28 and 1/2 before July 31 or all before jan 31.

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******

In Texas, if you are 65 or older, you can split your property tax into four payments. My next payment is due in March.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭

Utah allows us to pay in a lump or in installments from February through September, with the full balance due by the end of November. Just made out a check for my first installment, in fact. Property tax is calculated at 55% of market value and my total last year was just over $3k.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭

I got some crazy notice saying I hadn't filed my business property taxes. Its some stupid form where you have to list out the equipment and such that you use for your business. I guess if you have a "store" it would be lengthy and cost some money.....it has boxes for land, airplanes, buildings and all on it. With my little operation, because I have a business license I had to claim my computer, copy machine, and filing cabinets.....because we want to be "legit" don't we??? Its a whopping $16 that I get to pay each year or who knows what happens??? I swear, the government can make EVERYTHING as complicated as possible and find some way to tax it too.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    wetnapwetnap Member Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Where I lived in New Jersey they made you pay every 3 months and back in 2004 the bill was around $3000. every three months. You weren't allowed to pay once a year. Talk about a feeling like you don't own the property. Where I live now in PA property tax is about $1500 but school tax is about $6000 and we never had kids. We get one bill in April and another in September.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,368 ******

Living on a dirt road with no city amenities has saved me a lot in property taxes over the years here in Michigan. Between my Summer and Winter taxes, I total out to around 1500 bucks for the year. My buddy who lives 3 miles away in our little town is paying 4500 for a house that is smaller than mine.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭

Our assessed property values were going down a little each year. Now, they reassessed when the market was at it's highest & we went up a lot. The biggest % raise was in the land value. I guess it's OK if they raise everyone and lower the $ % per hundred. Our bills are due June 6 & December 6. Oh, we also have a personal property tax in Virginia on vehicles.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******

Taxation is theft.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Around ct, we'll say in the city I am in a, large, nice house will run maybe 10-14 thousand and a tiny shack maybe $4000.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Miss paying them here and you get shammed by finding your name in the local newspaper along with all the other "felons".

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭

It gets better.......

They are gonna shut down our fair city due to the ice storm........TOMORROW......the 31st!!!!

Ought to be a fun time tomorrow.........down at the City/County TAX OFFICE!!! 🤑

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,368 ******

Just WOW!! Seeing what some other states are charging for taxes that add up to over a grand a month is just plain sickening! Adding all in with a mortgage on top of that would make what I have always considered a rich man into a poor man.

What was once "The American Dream" of home ownership is now just a myth for many and I feel very sad for our future generations.

• Options
    Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭

I get a kick out of people bragging about how much land they own.. it's how much land they are Renting..quit paying taxes and see how long you own it.. Hilarious...

• Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭

They sent drones out to go over property inch by inch and then raise taxes. I wish I lived in another state instead of the Peoples Republic of Virginia. It is going down hill like a snowball headed south. Our elected officials are destroying us. We are not far behind California, Jersey and New York.

• Options

@62vld2042 yep we are also under the weather watch and a lot of stuff closed today because of some icy roads. My truck registration is due today but it ain't happening until later this week... I got enough beer to make a day or two so groceries will also wait until later in the week... priorities...🤣

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭

Ha! just wait 'til you get yer bill for home owners insurance what with all the fires, floods, hurricanes and inflation of the dollar! I have friends who have had their fire insurance flat out cancelled after the last fire that burned 100 square miles of prime timber land.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭

People complain about 'property taxes' but expect (NO, DEMAND) infrastructure that costs a LOT of money.

I complain about property taxes when the money is spent to benefit a select few leaving the majority who paid the taxes lacking.

• Options
    Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭

Well the County Judge just bought a new Ford Raptor.. with the tax money here..so...yeah.. guess he needed it to get around...