In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Some young fellas asked to rabbit hunt.

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,651 ******

They had about 8 dogs, and jumped several rabbits. I got to sit on my porch and watch the show.

Comments

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭✭

Good for you to let them, many wouldn't even bother to ask for permission. Watching was probably better than anything on TV too 😀

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭

good deal I miss rabbit hunting with my dogs when I was younger

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭

My grandfather was a big rabbit hunter. He used to have a Beagle named Hobo. My grandfather told me stories of him hunting with the dog and the dog would get on a rabbit and would not give up.

He said me one time he had to carry the dog back to the car.

Those we’re the days when dogs did not ride in the car. Hobo rode in the trunk.

One time my grandfather forgot the rabbits in the trunk. He said when he got home and opened the truck all found was the dog and ears and tails of the rabbits.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭

Hunted with a good fiend who had a beagle that would chase the rabbit in a big circle. You just sat on a stump and waited. Then it showed and it was super time.

• Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭

I could never get some people to understand just wait where we jumped the rabbit it will come back most of the time unless the dogs lost it

• Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭

Me and my friend used to bring one shotgun, the one being dog didn't need one.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,000 ******

Nice picture and good on you, @jimdeere

• Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭

They did the right thing by asking for permission to hunt and you were kind and gracious enough to allow them to have the use of your property. Well done by both parties.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭

I wanna do that! but I gots no dogs any more. Will a cat do? Or can we just kick the buckbrush?

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭

Good on you to allow them to hunt

Why I quit many yrs ago unless a family member owned land hunting was just a hassle

Too many people had ticked off land owners by not asking or trashing up the place so they all just said no more.

i had some farmer friends I hunted with a few times but as there family's got larger and more kids and grand kids started hunting I bowed out

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭

My dad always asked to hunt, and if we got any he always took one to the house to thank the landowner.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I thought it was duck season.....

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭

Times have changed since I was younger. People would give permission, but not so much anymore account of law suits.

Before I lived where I’m at now I rented an old farm house in the the country. There were a couple of kids that went hunting back on the property, their mother had just dropped them off, never asked permission. One of the kids shot his brother and killed him. I remember the owner coming over and asking me if I had given them permission, I told him no I didn’t know anything about it, in fact I had been at work. I never gave anyone permission account of it wasn’t my property. Everything turned out good because the property was posted and they were trespassing.

Over the yearsI have learned to word things as such when someone I know asked me if they can hunt. I tell them, I won’t give you permission, but If I see you around back I won’t call the sheriff.

It’s to bad, but one has to protect them self anymore from lawyers in this sue happy world.

PS. You did a good thing in letting them hunt.

• Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen a wabbit in two years, they have disappeared along with the coyotes. I spend a lot of time walking the high desert quail and chukar hunting. Where I use to see a couple of dozen every day, I don't see any. Has Turelimia killed them all? I mean I don't even see them killed on the highway anymore. They have introduced wolves into our area mebbe they ate all the rabs and 'yotes?

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

'I haven't seen a wabbit in two years, they have disappeared along with the coyotes.'

The only 'wabbits' left here are the ones close to habitation. Coyotes got the rest.

In the 60's, a friend and I hunted rabbits every Sunday afternoon (that was the only time I had away from farm chores/school). We hunted the RxR right of way for several miles each way from my house and some brush ground we'd cleared leaving nice 'rabbity' habitat. No stretch to bring home 6-8 bunnies. His Mom wouldn't cook a ribbit so I dressed the headshot ones and hung the others for dog food.

We haven't killed a rabbit/quail/pheasant for close to 20 years.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭

coyotes will do a number on the wild ones but I think the bobcats are worse, and for everyone of the coyotes you see there maybe 3-4 bobcats you won't see.......... allways wondered when all the small game is gone who would win the coyote or the bobcat???

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

Rabbits have seemed to have been thinned out the last 20 years it seems. Also I notice that you don’t see the squirrels or their nests as much either. I believe that hawks around where I live are taking just as big a toll on rabbits as coyotes. When you think about it, what good are hawks anyway, I see them all the time just sitting on fence posts ant telephone poles watching the fields and fence lines. And there are so many of them anymore, I may be wrong but I think they would rather eat rabbit rather than mice.

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Shiggles loves to rabbit hunt. I let her out at daybreak. She does her business and then begins her daily sniff, jump and run routine. She and her pups have a good chase. During good weather I enjoy sitting on the deck listening to beagle music.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭

I do not see many rabbits around our place. I think this critter gets most of them !!!

• Options

I have a full body mount in my den.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭

Small game in general is in decline in my area ( eastern nc) . Nobody keeps backyard chickens anymore

, so the hawks , owls , foxes , yotes etc are everywhere. Used to be folks kept the varmints killed off . Have not heard a bobwhite all year. Rare see a rabbit

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I have rabbits that run in every direction when I pull in my driveway anywhere between 7-9:30 pm.

I live very much in the Boonies. (See my Sig line.)

Causes Buddy fits. 🤔😉😂🤣

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭

@jimdeere I thought I met your rabbit hunters this evening. A group pulled into Krogers all smiling & happy after spending the day running wabbits with their Beagles. They were buying steaks & beer to finish off a great day.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,651 ******
    edited February 2023

If it was Old Milwaukee and tube sreaks, it might have been them.😁

• Options

Bobcat. Ex wife and I remained friends until she passed last August.