In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

as the sargeant on hill street blues used to say.........

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2023 in General Discussion

you all be carefull out there, expecially the ones down in the southern midwest. we got a glaze of ice and dusting of snow on top, enough to cancel school. but I know you folks got it a lot worse and the tv weather guys are calling for it to continue for a couple more days for you folks.

looks like I am gonna put my range time on hold for a day or so, as much as I want to shoot the new gun, its not worth wrecking the truck for.........

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭

Places where it doesn't often snow or freeze are places where people canNOT drive in it safely. (Heck, we have idjit drivers here, because they THINK they know how to drive in it.)

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭

Yep ice and snow down south is a bad even around us 1st couple such events people have to relearn how to drive

As for the show I did enjoy watching it

They had a good cast and writers

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,010 ******

Icy roads are never a good thing

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭

I agree rocky those idjit drivers are why I stay home, I trust myself enough,but I don't trust them not to hit me. but to many of them think with these new car/suvs that 4 wheel drive means you can go as fast as you want on ice and snow, and still talk on their phones, have watched many of them pass me just to end up in the ditch mile or so down the road, I used to stop and help them, not anymore figure if they can afford car and cell phones, they can afford tow truck.........

• Options

Same here, hillbillie. They zoom past me and not long after, I crawl past them. Sometimes, I wave. Very occasionally, with one finger.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,652 ✭✭✭✭

I figure those folks that drive fast on slick roads just ain't smart enough to understand the coefficient of friction or inertia.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,290 ******

It's very easy for folks in states that have low humidity and regular snowfall to criticize people who are not able to drive in snow in places with high humidity and infrequent snow and ice. All snow is not created equal.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

That's true of course. Only one place can have "The Greatest Snow on Earth" and that's Utah!

Any criticism that may be read into my comments is directed towards the idjits - who proliferate in all states.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,363 ******

It is actually not that hard to drive in winter weather conditions. The most important thing is to SLOW the heck down! Give yourself a lot of room to stop and always stay focused on the road ahead. Leave your electronic gadgets alone and drive like you did when you were first learning. I don't care what the posted speed limits are. If really bad road conditions are present, you may have to just about crawl. At least you are moving and not wrecking yours or other vehicles and or hurting\killing yourself or others.

Biggest problem is, as safe as you maintain yourself on the road, there are just way too many people in way too big a hurry!

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, they somehow think that 4 wheel drive is a miracle invention when they want to slow down & stop.

We just get regular snow in sw Va. Most places just close down & people stay home. Like most, we park at the top of our driveway near the road for an emergency situation. The road crews are good with pre-treating & clearing. Never more than a day before it's melting.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭

One of the guys I worked with moved to and married a lady from Canada.He said driving in his first ice storm with his german shepard in the car ,he got behind a line of traffic driving about 5 MPH. He got impatient with the slow pokes and accelerated to pass the line of traffic and ended up upside down in a ditch,hanging from the seat belt. Another motorist stopped to check on him and ask if he was hurt.He said no but need some help getting the seat belt off.When the guy reached in to help with the seat belt,the german shepard clamped down on the strangers arm. Luckily no one was hurt.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I have owned a 4x4 truck and or SUV since 1979

when I worked construction most jobs were 50 miles + one way from me

when it got truly nasty and the roads shut down I would just stay home ( rare but it happened )

one day at work some of the local guy's giving me grief about missing the previous day and I was the one with a 4x4 truck a 1978 ford f250 at the time

one fellow commented

I think Dave starts off to work in 2wd when its starts slipping, he puts the truck in 4 wd and goes back home 😁we all got a good laugh

when younger I was always pushing the limit on road conditions and speed some times a bit too much 🙄 ( hence the name ditch-runner)

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,962 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭

Long ago I taught my kids to lightly "stomp" the gas and brakes BEFORE they left our street.......when any ice or snow fell......EVERYTIME!! It gave them a very good idea of what could/will happen further down the road.

I also taught them to make active use of the transmissions "neutral" on snow/ice.........approaching stop signs and intersections, and turning corners.

Hmmmmm......they've not paid me back yet. 🤔