In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tinted car windows

Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭✭

I always thought that tinted front door windows were illegal. I don’t like them from the standpoint of not being able to see the drivers face and where he is looking. From a cop standpoint, you can’t tell what he is doing either. He could be reaching for a gun, or even have one held up in front of his face. I wish those that have the front tinted windows would get pulled over and written a citation to have them removed. What say you guys?

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******

I say if it's going to be law, it should be enforced, but I disagree with the law in favor of personal freedom.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing that each state may be different but in general tint on the front windows is illegal. Then, drivers start to play games with the amount of tint & an officer would need a special "tint meter" ?? to measure it. Even with tint on rear windows, you don't know if there's a passenger, let alone what they are doing.

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Here is Missouri's stance:

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,573 ✭✭✭✭

I know we have laws about the tint level and the shops that do it know what is legal but will do what ever the customer wants

But I also agree it should be the owners choice not big brothers

Like gun owners countless cars and trucks with dark tint windows

I would wager the percentage of such people with dark tint windows shooting some one is so low it would not even regester

So let's punish every one for the few that abuse it

• Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭✭

Our local constable has tinted windows in their cruiser, lol.

Michigan used to have a zero tolerance, but those laws were changed quite a few years ago. My Suburban has factory tint on everything but the windshield.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

My Jeep has pretty dark tinted windows (from the Dealership when purchased.) Including the rear on the soft top. (As well as the front doors.) I have never been stopped or questioned here in TN. (No Vehicle inspection.)

(But) Up North (in extreme N NJ) with yearly Vehicle Inspections, after a few years of everything okay, my Ford Ranger was flagged/denied Inspection due to "dark window tint on front side windows. Peeled it off from the inside, leaving glue residue. Pulled back around, went through the line again. Passed. Had been okay for several years. 🤔

I guess it's where you live and whether or not that State respects Civil Liberties. (Also how prone their Citizens are in their proclivity (there you go Susie. 😁) to violence.

Personally, I like having heavily tinted windows. (But, I'm not LEO.)

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,017 ******

I like tinted windows to reduce sun and glare. I do not like it for concealment.

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

My rigs side windows are not tinted, they are plywood.

I did not paint or tint them so as I would not be driving in violation of tinted windows in Oklahoma and Arkansas.

• Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭

Around here, all the cop cars have very dark tint, all windows. Not that that would keep them from saying I couldn't have it. Doesn't really matter to me. I expect the worst from all drivers, whether I can see em or not.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

Should curtains on our home windows to prevent someone looking in be outlawed too ?

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭

I say, "If you lived in Florida, you would change your mind tout suite."

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"