In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Saturday night specials

elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭

Why the great price increase in S.N.Spls.? It just doesn't seem logical to me They sold for $3 - $6 bucks back when new. Now sellers are asking and getting $400.00 apiece and more for H&R's and Iver Johnsons. I have two that were my Grandfathers, a .32 and a .38 and they are both worth nearly as much as his Colt Army Special which he bought new in 1912. Comments.

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭

They first went up when people learned they could bring $200 at a gun buy back.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

It's a free market; supply and demand. Like you, I am surprised at today's prices.

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭

Norm Flayderman saw this coming a number of years ago. He noted that the prices for the classic antique and vintage guns were getting so high that many would-be collectors were priced out of the market. I believe that in the last edition of his book he noted that the largest percentage price increases were for the small, mostly spur-triggered revolvers.

• Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭

Saturday Night Special was the gun grabbers evil weapon back in the day. I wrote my Junior History term paper on why the 1968 Gun Control Act was unconstitutional and that banning the Saturday Night Special was a back door way of disarming the poor.

Nostalgia and/or needing a self defense gun to stash really long term and hope you never have to actually use it may be contributing to the weird market on the inexpensive guns. .25 autos seem to be bringing a lot more than would seem warranted, too.

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly