In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1903 Springfield Rejected Prototype Receiver

I have this ultra rare Springfield model 1903? receiver that I picked up at a estate sale years ago. When I first got it I researched the heck out of it and found that it was part of a military contract that was rejected. Consequently most of these were tossed yet a few had leaked out to the public somehow where they were used in what were called Frankenstein guns if I recall that being the term. That's what I remember reading and I'll be darned if I can find that info again! I should have wrote it down but I didn't. Does anyone out here have any idea where I can find the info on this? Look closely, it's not a mark I. There's nothing like it out there that I can find this time around.

Comments

• Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭

Without any kind of processing proof marks, it makes the genealogy of this receiver suspect. In the late 1960s, a company called National Ordinance out of California was selling a 1903 springfield receiver casting, that was allegedly done in Spain, with some finish machining done here in the US. They show up time to time for re-sale, but safety and heat treat would be a primary consideration.

• Options
    vintagegunsmithvintagegunsmith Member Posts: 3

Thanks Chris! That sounds somewhat as similar as what I remember seeing online a few years back. You're info may be better though because this doesn't appear to have the oxidation one would expect from a WW2 era receiver. When I got this I had a 1903 Springfield stock and this wouldn't fit properly at all. So there's that too. Yet thanks to you I have a little more info to go on. Thanks for your help!

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a bunch (30 or so) at an auction in Indy, 15 + years ago. Sold for $50.00 ea as paper weights. Not an good for trying to reuse as actions.

here is some info.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    vintagegunsmithvintagegunsmith Member Posts: 3

Well thanks Hoosier. That helps get me closer to actual identification. It's still going to keep working at my brain however, if I can't come up with an exact match!