In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rifle Barrel is bent and I need recommended smith who does straightening

gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Ask the Experts

Winchester model 43 rifle in 22 Hornet with a bent barrel. Please share or recommend a smith to straighten it.

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭

I would sure like to know "the rest of the story" on this one!

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭

Some years ago Savage Arms Co was straightening their rifle barrels......but they were also manufacturing their own barrels.

These days???? You might be able to find a gunsmith who can........since it's sort of a lost art form.

Good luck.

• TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

even to consider having someone straighten a barrel... how much is it bent... is it just a very small bend that you only see looking down the bore,, or is it bent so much that just looking the rifle over casually it is noticable?

you really don't need a gunsmith, a good machinists shop could probably help you out, a pro working with precise metal working skills should be able to do a good job with a hydraulic press and a gentle hand, of course the barrel will need to be removed from the action first and proper precautions taken to protect the finish . good luck hope you find someone with the skills.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭

went that route once tank, shop told me they wouldn't touch a rifle/gun without a FFL which they did not have, and I knew the shop owner. he was more afraid someone would turn him in than getting the repair right...

• chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭

Agree with TANK78Zs comments above. Also, could probably done very well in a lathe with a pair of dial indicators to check run-out as the straightening is done. Some brass or bronze shim material to protect the barrel from the chuck jaws would help greatly.

Had a customer bring in a Marlin .22 that he could not zero, and we found the barrel was bent near the shank. A new barrel and he was back in business.

Might consider a replacement barrel from Numrich, as they are still available, and might be less investment than employing a machine shop.

I have always had the feeling that straightening a bent barrel causes a re-alignment in the micro grain as you cold work it, and as the barrel heats up during firing, that causes compressed grain to expand, and the barrel stretches or relieves the stress unevenly and causes vertical stringing or different harmonics then in its original form.

• TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

That's one reason why I said the barrel needs to be removed, the other of course is its the only way to do it properly,

• gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭

Thanks to all for your input. This rifle was bought at a local gun show by a good friend. I checked the reputation of the seller and found it is not the best as far as returning the rifle so it may his as is. Although he likes the rifle, so the reason on fixing it. I will pass the information on. Again Thank you.

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

just to note; in years past ALL the barrel makers straightened their barrels at least once, beretta bragged they did this 3 times. I had built a 'barrel straightener' in years passed and used it several times. a lot depends on how much it's bent and were.

• gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭

The barrel bend is slight and about 8 inches back from the muzzle. You can see it by looking down the outside of the barrel once you know it is bent. It can be seen much better looking down the bore which was uncleaned at the time of purchase.

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

It is important that the bore is straight and round the full length. A crude, simple, straightening can give the outward appearance that the barrel is now straight, but it may be that one slight bend was simply offset by another opposite bend. With tapered barrels, the small end of the barrel will be the part that will want to bend.

This discussion has been closed.