In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question about aftermarket Glock trigger. Need some advice from some of you Glock guys.

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭

Today I picked up a Glock 17 from my FFL that I bought over on the auction side last week. Real happy with my purchase, GREAT price, the aftermarket slide makes it look real nice. Very happy. Until I tried the trigger. The trigger isn't bad, bad but it is a LONG way from good.

So I did the obvious and Googled Glock triggers. Lord have mercy!! There must be someone making Glock triggers in every other garage all across this fruited plain. I had no idea there that many options.

So what I'm looking for is a trigger that will make my new Glock 17 have a good trigger pull. Notice I didn't say great trigger. I just want something better that wont break the budget. Also, if they say "drop in", I want it to drop in, no muss, no fuss, no two hours of cussin'!

So what brand of aftermarket triggers have you bought, installed and been happy worth??

Thanks to all!!

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭

Just got it and already trying to make it work! Don

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭

Glocks work just fine right out of the box. They are kind of like High Points. You pull the trigger they go BANG!! They ain't pretty, they will never be bought to be a collector piece but they will shoot just fine for a defense weapon. It must always be realized that any Semi-auto is last choice for a defensive weapon. The simple fact is any semi will jam. If your life is on the line a semi beats a baseball bat but isn't as good as a revolver. Any handgun is WAY inferior to a shotgun or rifle. Inside 40 yards a shotgun and 00 buckshot is king. But since I have always been a rifleman more than a shotgunner my choice for self defense is one of my ARs.

Let's be honest, the old saying about the handgun is only of use to get you to your long gun is very true!!

• thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

I had gotten a glock trigger from one of those over on the ...bay. The trigger pull on mine with the original trigger was gritty and a little bit heavy, so that was why I was in for a replacement. The replacement was around $130 and comparing the two, the new one was highly polished, and exactly in the same configuration as the old one. The new one you have a choice of trigger colors. Installing it is no problem, and there are views on utube on how to do it if you are unsure. But the difference is only in the metal parts were highly polished. There are utube postings on how to polish your trigger assembly, which should save you a lot of dough if you have the high grit sandpaper. Well the new trigger was a little bit better than the factory trigger, so I wasn't too unhappy, but I am frugal so I would try the polishing the trigger assembly before ordering a new trigger.

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

Look up the '25 cent trigger job'. It's basically a good polishing of all parts that rub together and will make the pull smoother. Putting in a 3.5 lb. connector will lighten it up some. Learn to shoot from the reset! Don't let the trigger completely back out after every shot but learn to feel it 'click' when it resets.

Edited to add...

Use OEM parts. There are instances out there where aftermarket connectors have caused guns to run just a wee bit faster than they're legally allowed to, if ya get my drift.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

Que @MPistone.

Oh, and @dreher, Nails it.

• MPistoneMPistone Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

The three best aftermarket Glock triggers I have found are the Pyramid, from The Glock Store, Zev PRO trigger and the Timney Alpha Competition.

They all have little to no take up and really short resets. I like speed shooting with most of my Glocks and prefer a 2 1/2# Pull weight. The Pyramid is probable the easiest to "drop in" install, the lightest pull weight and the best price. The Zev is also fairly easy to install and some of the kits also include their skeletonized striker and spring. The Zev is a perfect 3 1/2 # pull. The Timney is just as smooth as you'd expect a Timney quality trigger to feel. Breaks clean at 3#, but the Installation was no way as smooth as the Pyramids or Zevs.

I do love my Glocks and you'll feel like you're shooting an entirely different pistol once you replace that Trigger. (That stock sight will be next for you).

A Glock Thread from last week - https://forums.gunbroker.com/discussion/1910354/glocks-all-flavors#latest

That door you just kicked in was locked for your protection - not mine.

My last hot rod was a SRT8 with a 6.1 Hemi. Just like my Glocks, made a few changes. 1,020 RWHP on 106 fuel and 25# boost. There nothing wrong with taking something great and making it better.

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭

I have stock triggers on my multiple Glocks. My thinking is, if need be, I can pick up any Glock in the world and hit with it.

This fellow I understand makes some nice triggers though:

https://johnnyglocks.com/collections/trigger-kits/products/edc-trigger-kit

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

I've never found a stock Glock trigger to be so bad I wanted to replace it. I'm never going to win competitions with it that way, but I would customize any gun that I was going to try to with.

My experience with aftermarket Glock parts has been pretty good. I'm guessing if you just read a review or two before you buy you're going to come out ok.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain

I think the best part of the OEM Glock trigger is the reset. I have 3 swinging gongs and practice the initial heavier Glock trigger pull rotating between each gong. I forget about that reset with my shooting.

I did some timed shooting on fixed gongs with my neighbor who is a County Deputy. I did pretty good with my Glock 43X. While I wasn't as fast as he was with his RDS equipped Sig 320, I did beat another Deputy and 2 other fellas doing double taps on each gong with a mag change in the middle. I was like oh yeah - there's that trigger reset I've forgotten about.

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭

Were the other two deputies also shooting Sig 320s. That's some good shooting - those little 43X are tougher to accurately "move fast", compared to shooting a full size Glock; especial when you toss a mag change into the mix.

The other Deputy was shooting a Glock 17. His High School age son was shooting a Red Dot Equipped Sig P365. My other neighbor was there shooting a Glock 19. That neighbor of mine really needs to practice more.

I watched the other Deputy shooting the Glock 17 switch the gun in his hands to do a mag change!!! I had to question him on it and asked "Why are you juggling a loaded gun to change mags?" He said some nonsense about not being able to use the mag release with his left hand. I'm left handed as well and have no issues using my left index finger to eject a mag on a Glock or other pistol. It's a sign of piss poor training.

We have a new Sheriff that won the election by mud slinging at the other candidate. This new Sheriff has a brother that runs a tactical training facility, the next county north or us. Each Deputy goes up to that training facility, with a county car, and is paid to attend "tactical training" weekly. The problem is I think it's a scam. They are just up there plinking and playing GI JOE. The proof of that is seeing the horrible gun handling of this Deputy.

I've been kind of vocal on facebook questioning this Sheriff about his ethics. Like most of the other PD's in the country he got the Federal Government to give him toys. Which included an Armored Humvee, Mrap, 2 boats, a bunch of M16's, a bomb detection robot, and a whole slew of other crap the county doesn't need.

My major question for him was where is the MRAP? Turns out he gave it to his brother to use as a toy, outside of our county. The Sheriff hid the fact that he did that. He could've kept everything on the up & up but instead was being sneaky with it. The county commissioner got wind of what he was doing, made him take it back from his brother, and park it at the Sheriff's office.

edited February 2023

@drobs Sure sounds like you have a big problem with your sheriffs department. The corruption and misappropriation of public funds is one thing, but if in fact the officers training is a scam then he is not only putting those officer's lives in jeopardy but he is endangering the safety of those his department is sworn to protect.

Might I suggest that you speak to whichever new media outlet has the best County or State coverage in your area to see if they care to investigate and report on the findings. Additionally, if the Sheriff received any equipment, financial support or In Kind gifts from the Federal Government, that you contact your Congressman. They have a fiduciary duty to investigate.

I am ex-military and have also seen first hand what I consider to be inadequate police firearms training. I have to acknowledge that the average officer's training is geared towards one or two threats, beyond that they escalate it to the next level, likely a SWAT team.

"I watched the other Deputy shooting the Glock 17 switch the gun in his hands to do a mag change!!!"

I think if I was in charge of that department I'd be getting a Gen 5 for that deputy so he could run the gun properly.

• tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭

If you vAlue reliability. Stick with stock and 25 cent polish

Now that one - I have to disagree with. When a Glock is built or modified correctly it is an extremally reliable pistol. No different from an AR-15 or a Ruger 10-22; If you use quality parts and you know what you are doing you'll end up with a great firearm.

If you use quality parts and you know what you are doing

There's the rub! Too many 'parts swappers' and not enough understanding about how things are supposed to work together. My statement applies across the board, not just Glocks.

• NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭

I just can't agree with anyone who states Glocks are "great" firearms. They are not "great" in ANY sense, in my opinion. Yes, reliable. Yes, can be accurate. Yes, many MANY people state they can double tap at 100 yards on a one inch target while shooting over their shoulder standing in a bucket of acid while a rainstorm hits during an eclipse next to a barking dog. Right.

Glocks are simple, inexpensive (notice I didn't say CHEAP) guns which run. But the triggers are nothing to brag about. Nor are the looks. Nor are the quality and lifespan of the parts. The factory springs are not heavy duty and the plastic pins bend. These are facts. No one buys Glocks for their looks or their triggers or thinking they will hand them down to their grandkids, again, in my opinion--there may be exceptions. They buy them for the price, or the reliability, or the fact that they are now used to them. That's fine. More power to these folks.

On the other hand, I own about a dozen (17s, 19s, 21s) and have modified every single one. Triggers, sights, trigger bars, springs, etc. They all run reliably and the trigger pulls are much much better than stock. I've even changed out slides or engraved or cerakoted the slides so the pistols look better. I don't see any problems with that, for anyone, as long as they are done well and the pistol is still reliable. Reliability for any pistol is king for me, even more so than accuracy.

So while I'm a 1911 guy, I value my Glocks for what they are, and don't look up nor down at any Glock owners. But let's not render unto Caesar what is not Caesar's due--Glocks are not "GREAT". They are very good, at best. Notice I'm not bragging about 1911s, nor SIGs, nor Hi Powers, nor Lugers, nor Berettas, nor anything else. Everything has its place.

edited February 2023

@Navybat "Yes, many MANY people state they can double tap at 100 yards on a one inch target while shooting over their shoulder standing in a bucket of acid while a rainstorm hits during an eclipse next to a barking dog"

So you've seen me shoot before 😉

I think the word you're looking for is Perfection. Really, it say's so right on the box.

I intend to hand all my Glocks down to my grandkids, when I get them. Grandkids, that is.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭

Like I said, there are exceptions. For that one person who is PERFECT, he obviously is God's gift to the firearms world. Who can possibly argue with him? I didn't realize Jesus came back so quickly.