In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Just checking in......................

44pinshooter44pinshooter Member Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Been awhile since I stopped by. Am working on trying to slow down, pull back from the retail world and just do gunsmithing and maybe get a few more hunts and a bit more fishing with the boys before the bus quits stopping by in the morning. Seems I have more on my plate than ever before. OK in some ways, but.........

Been a pretty mild winter here in SE WI. Last Thursday, got about 6 plus inches of snow with a wind, so had a few drifts. First time I've had to shovel my way to get to the shop door in years. AND, of course our big snow blower just had to bust a drive belt. Got a great neighbor about a mile down the road with a skid-steer that has a blade, he came and plowed the drive. He won't ever take any money for any thing I have ever asked him to do, so he found a case of his favorite beer by his door the next day.

We are doing pretty well. Younger son still has the bullet in his shoulder. He saw the doctor 2 weeks ago, as his arm will get a sharp pain once in awhile. Doctor says the bullet is pushing on some nerves. So the doctor is looking over the scan and going to come up with how to dig it out. I've offer to give him 3 fingers of good bourbon, lay a bag of ice on the shoulder for about 20 minutes, a new blade in the razor knife, put a Kabar in the fire, make a slit, a pair of small Snap-on needle nose pliers, pull the bullet out, pour a bottle of iodine in the cut and then slap the red hot blade of the Kabar on it and all is well. When I told him this, he said that I was off my nut. Really?

Didn't get much hunting time in this year. The days I had planned to go, the weather was against me. Did get a button buck. 'da wife came up with a recipe for Texas steak chili. So I cubed up some of that buck, she went to the little Mexican store in town and got some peppers that I'd never heard of and other spices and WOW, the best chili I've ever had. And, no, there were no beans.

Last year was my busiest year for 'smithing. The safes are pretty full right now, guns waiting for work. Still is a pain locating some parts, and boy do some places think that Remington parts are made of gold! I enjoy doing it. Also did pretty good over on the auction side.

Looking forward to spring. Going to add a few more raised growing beds to the garden. We were given a nice wooden shed, 12' X 24', hip roof with 8' center ceiling. The owner even flat bedded it in for us, no charge. He had sold his place and the new owner didn't want it. We ain't run any chickens for years now. The old coop was in poor shape and not worth redoing. Going to make this into a new coop. The roof is solid, but needs shingling. We had already planned on getting chickens again, even before the price of eggs went nuts.

I hope this find ever one doing OK and I'll try to come around more often.

Comments