In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Credit card reports gun sales.

elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭

Starting in April Discover card will allow government access to all sales made at "gun" stores. The actual items purchased will not be listed so if you buy a shooting jacket, a fishing pole, a pair of boots or even a pocket warmer at Big Five, Scheals, Sportsmans Warehouse or any other so called gun shop it will be noted and reported that you charged $$$$ at Barons Sporting Goods Store in Duboistown, Pa. Master Card, VISA and American Express are expected to follow Discovers lead. The new code is dubbed 5723 Gun And Ammunition Retailers. I'll be writing a check or paying cash.

Comments

• Options
    Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭

Cash talks and %# walks. I have a Visa debit card. If it ever reports ANYTHING I buy, I'll go cash all the way.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

I’ve only got one credit card (visa), that was issued to me in 1973 and it still shows the date on the card. If I do use it I pay it off at the end of the month, I don’t pay interest.

Now that being said, why would I care if they report me using it to buy something in a gun store. Every time you purchase a gun you have to fill out the required paper work any way, so they know what you purchased. It’s not like I broke the law, or am going to break the law. It seems everyone wants to keep track anymore of what you buy so they can try and sell you something else along that line. I guess what I’m saying is don’t let your self get paranoid, it’s not worth it. But if it does bother you, use the credit card company’s worse enemy, Cash.

• Options

Sir, a spider builds her web one strand at a time. If this doesn't bother you, don't worry about it.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭

gotta wonder if they won't defend you in the case of scam if you buy with a credit card ........

• Options
    edited February 2023

@elubsme I think I’d worry more about who is listening and what you say here on this form, than worry about what a credit card company says about what I bought. Far as they know I bought what ever for a friend, and it was legal to buy at the time. There are billions of sales every year made a sporting goods stores with credit cards, and thousands of purchases made right here on Gunbroker. And if someone is that paranoid, better get rid of your cell phone and computer.

I face my enemies I don’t run in fear of them.

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,686 ✭✭✭✭

I don't see how they are going to report this at all. When you run a card it doesn't ask "what" you are buying.....stores sell all kinds of nonsense. My favorite gun store has the cutest clothes and killer fudge by the register. Walmart sells countless firearms and all the Chinese produced garbage anyone might want. A transaction is a transaction.....unless they decide they are going to have a special route the firearm sales are done there is NO WAY the cc companies can report firearm sales.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options

Hey Walt, Since this forum is for general information and friendly conversation I thought that if just a few of our many members could put my post to good use it would be helpful to them. Paranoid or not, the more information a person has, the better off he will be. Bless your heart for replying, I will take into consideration your suggestions.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭

In reality, I could care less whether they do or not for several reasons:

Its not going to stop people from buying guns & ammo with CCs

It will make the CC companies realize the huge amount of profits they are making from guns & related sales

It was done to make DEMOCRATs and there sycophants "Feel Good" despite nothing changing

All gun sales are already documented and info sent to ATF

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,669 ******

Which government agency is Discover allowing access?

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭

So far firearm and related sales on my Visa come across as Retail Sale, no code.

I have nothing to hide but i don't want the ATF or US Government Data Mining my CC. Can't understand those who don't seem to care.

Seems to me that ATF is trying to catch those individuals that fall thru the crack on instant background check.

There is a time limit (supposedly) on how long background check info is kept. Will there also be a time limit on Credit Card Sales? Yes, I understand FFL dealer must surrender books if loosing license or dies.

iF you think you are not loosing your Freedom by this back door Registration Scheme, you lost me.----------------------------------------Ray

• Options

First they beat up the next of kin that destroyed the books then they dig up the FFL.------Ray

• Options
    MPistoneMPistone Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

@Ditch-Runner

So the great state of Florida has responded! Republican state Sen. Danny Burgess recently proclaimed.

“This is the United States of America. You don’t get penalized for exercising a Constitutional right. The Second Amendment is nonnegotiable, and here in Florida, we are going to fight to protect the rights of Floridians.”

The Republican-controlled Senate Banking and Insurance Committee voted 7-3 along party lines to approve a bill (SB 214) that would target yet-to-be-enacted plans by some credit-card companies to create a separate “merchant category code” for sales at firearm businesses. Credit-card companies could face fines up to $10,000 per violation for tracking firearm and ammunition sales in Florida, under this measure.

The bill is filed for consideration during the legislative session that will start March 7. Rep. John Snyder, R-Stuart, has filed an identical bill (HB 221) in the House.

That door you just kicked in was locked for your protection - not mine.

• Options

Casey, not only question of reporting. If sale is coded a Court Order to CC company will get you what you want. -------------------Ray

• Options

I'm not sure exactly what you've said. But for clarification the "Coding" as requested by the ISO was to be a separate classification for Firearms and Ammunition sales. That did not happen - rather all purchases, from a store known as a firearms retailer (**) will be collected in the aggregate. So purchasing an article of clothing, fishing bait or a firearm are all the same. The purchase detail (exact item purchased) is not recorded.

One aspect that I find very troubling is that this is a result of the ISO (International Standards Organization) desire to create a unique category code for ammunition and gun retailer. Why is America, the only country with a Constitutional right to possess arms, bending to the will of the ISO? - an international nongovernmental organization made up of national standards bodies. What other possible motives might an International organization have to interfere with the rights of Americans?

The premises of this tracking is "With a new code for firearms merchants, potentially suspicious purchasing patterns could be flagged to law enforcement" and yet every purchase (Firearm related or not) at Uncle Joe's gun shop" is reported. So just what potentially suspicious purchasing patterns would be flagged. Buy one too many jackets or fishing bait and, unbeknownst to you, you're subject to investigation.

** It is unclear who decides or identifies a retailer as a "firearms retailer". Is it only "Uncle Joe's guns" or would Walmart, who also sells ammunition and firearms fall into that new classification.

• Options

My end of year report with Visa reads Retail Sale for firearm and related purchases, no code. A member on the Forum claims coding starts in March.

By the way, sign on ammo cabinet in Walmart, Harriman, NY.

Customers must confirm to NY Penal Law Section 400.03 and provide Date, Name, Age, Occupation, Address.

Seller must record Amount, Caliber, Manufacturer's Name, Serial number, and other distinguishing features of the Ammo. ----------------------------Ray

• Options

Discover card has publicly stated that they will start this April. I have not heard when Visa will comply, but Visa has in fact committed to following suit.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,334 ******

I would simply switch to only using discover and only shopping at gun stores if I thought it would flood their database with meaninglessness.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

Collectively, we could do a whole lot of meaninglessness.😀 --------------Ray

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, but this time it will be meaningful meaninglessness.

I wonder, at what point will We the People truly wake up, rip off the blinders, and give a rat's rear end what is happening to us?

• Options

NeoBlackdog, great question. Even a shy secretive Mountain Loin, Cougar, Puma will protect her family and if you back her into a corner, she will tear your face off.-------Ray

• Options
    edited February 2023

If this is truly a problem, there is only one way to stop this with credit card company’s. That is to boycott them and use cash or check only and hurt them financially. How ever here is the problem I see with trying to hurt them this way financially. I doubt if gun or ammunition sales on credit cards even accounts for 1% of total credit card sales. I live in the real world, and I don’t see people cutting their credit cards up in protest because the credit card company’s went Woke and are going to report every time I purchased something in a sporting goods store.

We use to be know as a nation on wheels, and this is what brought great success to this nation, now we’re know as a nation on credit and debt. Thanks in part to are great leader in Washington.

• Options

waltermoe, 1% is probably a valid point. If Visa codes, tracks or releases firearm and related sales to others, I am done with them. I will do my best to convince others to do same. Will it do any good? Probably not, but at least I can live with myself.

Yes, i will never darken Dicks doorstep again and I wrote corporate a letter and gave them a black eye which they rightly deserved. Their counter guys ears are still ringing. The price of their stock does not matter to me. The whole world knows who they are and what they did. ----------------------------Ray

• Options

@4205raymond I’m glad to hear that you wrote a letter to the corporate office, I thought I was the only one left that still done that. A lot a people will Email the corporate office but I feel that does not have the effect of writing a physical letter and mailing it. At the touch of a button someone in an office can delete 10,000 Emails of protest and no one notices, but 10,000 envelopes that need to be opened and fills a room gets noticed. I think I mentioned earlier, I have one credit card I’ve had since 1973 that I may use maybe once a year, I have it just in case I need it. I’m getting to old to live the rest of my life in fear if I use my credit card to purchase something legal that someone doesn’t agree with.