In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Oh Joy in the mail yesterday... not. Update added

Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,359 ******
edited March 2023 in General Discussion

Got a jury summons for first week in March... been a few years... have to call in the evening before to see if canceled, most of the time they plea bargain around here before a jury get's chose.

Sat in uncomfortable chair for 2 hours as they called peoples names and figured out who was there and eligible. Then they gave us a 30 minute break that took 45 minutes and then after the judge talking for about 25 minutes to tell us they just completed a plea bargain and we could donate our $6 to a charity if we stayed and filled out a card to designate which one or if we needed a note for employer we could go wait in line at the building next door... I just left they can send me a check, the 6 bucks will just about pay for the gas I wasted...

Comments

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭

I have served on two juries, one federal and one circuit court. I didn't try to get out of them because I figure most juries are made up of people who couldn't figure out a way to avoid it, and not happy to be there. Nothing like kicking off a life-changing event with a hostile panel of your "peers"!

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't been called to serve for 25 years. I figured after I moved they lost me in the shuffle. Since the police department that returned my shotgun 33 years after it was stolen, found me by going through the Secretary of State records, super kudos to them, I figure I am now back on the radar and will be called again. At least being retired I won't have to worry about time off from work or loss of income. Bob

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭

I received notice to go in several times over the years. Generally as stated, the call in the night before let me know I was not needed. A couple times I did end up having to go in. As I worked in the courthouse, I would walk down from my office and sit in the gallery. All three times, the judge removed me as I worked in the court system and likely had first hand knowledge of the case......

I received notice here in MO a few years after I moved down. I filled out the questionnaire and under employment I wrote about my work experience. It had been over 5 years since I filled it out. I figure I would be disqualified by Defense anyway ...

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******

There's a reason they call it "duty".

• Options

Problem is they will never select me, I've been to the question phase several times over the 45 plus years I've been eligible to serve and was dismissed after seeing that they only select folks that they believe can be easily swayed. I answered several questions honestly and they don't want that. So now it is just another waste of my time...

• Options
    Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭

Got the call of duty years ago. Asked me if I knew the sheriff, nope. Attorney reply, you mean to tell me you live here and don't know the sheriff? I replied " I know who he is but I do not know him". All got a chuckle out of that. Still got seated on the jury.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭

Over the years I have received a few notices only to be plebarganed before I was due

Where I use to work retired now they were one of the few company's would pay your normal wages while you were serving on the jury

I never got to take advantage but several coworkers did

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******

Two words:

JURY NULLIFICATION.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

If asked if you have heard about the case, just say. Guilty!! Fit his hands for a pick and shovel. Next case.

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

I use to tell my guys to go to jury duty and do your duty. Not anymore. My lead service tech got picked for grand jury. He sat on a Murder case for two months, with delays, only for the lady to plead guilty on the last day. Being a small company, it really hurt.

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭

Been called up many times, Grand Jury in Federal court even, but only sat on one jury. It was a woman who was jogging at night, wearing dark clothing, on the street, and got clipped by a guy in a pickup. She was pretty busted up, and they went on and on about the damage and cost to her but it all boiled down to being her fault. When we went in to deliberate, we picked a foreman and he said for everyone who thought she should get nothing to raise their hand. Everyone's hand went up; it took less than 5 minutes. We thought it would look bad if we came back with a decision so quickly so we talked about various things for a couple hours, had lunch, then entered the verdict. I mean, we felt sorry for the gal but the poor guy that hit her could not see her and felt bad about it. She was hoping for a big payout but she was even hit with paying the guy's attorney fees. How she got a lawyer to take her case is beyond me.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

I just had to tell 'em my wife was a police officer and that got me 'dis-invited' a couple of times.

Now that she's retired I may actually be allowed on a jury!

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭

I served on the local Grand Jury back in the late 70s. In and out for 2 weeks with all the cases they had. I enjoyed it. At 74, I doubt if they will call me up again.

Joe

• Options

update added to OP.

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭

Ages ago I worked with a guy who was quickly dismissed from duty during the questioning/interview phase. He was a very honest guy, almost to the point of being naive. He said the questions were going well until he answered "I think if someone runs from the police, he must be guilty of something" to one of the attorney's questions. Immediate disqualification! :D

Myself, I've never had the pleasure of jury duty and having said that, I fully expect I will be summoned at the most inconvenient time imaginable.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭

I received a jury summons while in Africa. I sent them a copy of my passport and visa stamp and was able to get out of it. Now that I'm home, I wouldn't mind serving on a jury. I don't think they will select me again though.