In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

computer question-loss of audio

discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭

as of 10:30pm last night i have absolutely no audio on my computer. no you tube audio on either Chrome or Edge. not even those annoying "notification" ding-a-lings. looking into things i have changed nothing, nor have any external problems in the wiring or hookups for the speakers. all defaults are as i did them years ago. this just started last night. microsoft had a wonky update that went south way back in July, and has patched it shortly after. any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭

Do you have a little speaker symbol on the lower right, or somewhere, on you puter screen?

Click on it and see if the sound could be turned way down.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭

First step is always to reboot.

If that doesn't fix it, then begin other troubleshooting. After doing all the simple things like checking connections and settings, you may have a hardware issue. If you have external speakers, I will assume you are using a tower/desktop box. If so, your audio card may have died. Or your speakers. Test that by plugging in some headphones or earbuds.

If you have just accidentally hit the MUTE button, there's no need to embarrass yourself. Just say the reboot worked, LOL!

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

Call Microsoft.

After talking to them (trying to communicate and understand what that foreign person is saying) you won't care about anything.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

actually i did all the things suggested above, even did a system restore to a point before the last MS update. BINGO got my audio back! thanks for the help and advice

• Options

Sooner or later that kind of madness will tip you over the edge and you'll ask how to run Linux. It will be the best decision you've made regarding computers.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,358 ******

Right, because Linux has never ever had any issues... 🙄

• Options

Linux does occasionally have a burp. Why, I've had to reboot mine two or three times in the past five years.

What's your history with Linux?

• Options

I try, austin. It feels like I'm the guy advocating people change from blackpowder to smokeless, but get heckled for doing it.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭

I would not take it personal.. I believe almost everyone who visits here comes to have some good natured fun.

• Options

Oh, I don't take it personally at all. Sooner or later, when people give up and switch to Linux, I'll seem like a prophet or seer or something.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone that takes things personally won't last long on here.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options

30 plus years in the industry, using. supporting, administrating and teaching corporate users about operating systems and the hardware that runs them including pretty much every flavor of unix OS there has been such as AIX, AT&T, Berkley, Solaris, Minix and Linux when it became available in the early 90's.

I was certified by the Linux Professional Institute in 2002 and twice in multiple versions of Red Hat Linux as a Technician and then an Engineer in 2002-2003. I also became a certified teacher for both RedHat and Suse versions of Linux along with being a Microsoft Certified Trainer. I have acquired probably at least 15 other various, Technician, Engineer and Administration certifications in other operating systems also going back to Dec systems VMS, HPUX, MS-DOS, Novell, WINNT and others.

You come across as a very intelligent man Rocky and possibly an expert in many things, myself I don't profess to be an expert in anything, however I was and even though I fully retired a year ago, I am still thought of as a Subject Matter Expert in both Computer System Server Hardware and peripherals along with Computer Operating System by my pervious employers and peers.

I spent over 5 years delivering Linux courses of my 20 plus years delivering OS courses as part of my 30 plus years in the industry. So that's a small sampling of my "history with Linux"

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭

if i knew how i wou,ld try linux on my old laptop. .windows on it is screwed up . slow to load and slow to function . Kids gave me a new one for birthday last year .it uses windows 11 and i hate it .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options

I'm impressed, Ruger4me, truly. I meant the question honestly, btw.

No, I am not an expert in Linux or any other computer system; merely a long-time user (since two-tray PCs and DOS). Five years now with Linux. I do dabble, and have tried more than two dozen versions of Linux out of curiosity. I now run three: Mint, MX, and Zorin. I have helped many people to either switch over or at least try to and have yet to have anyone who managed the change to go back to Windows. We're talking home users here, not corporate.

While no operating system is perfect, I think you'd agree that Linux is far more stable, far less intrusive, far less vulnerable to malware, and at least as capable as Windows, with the added advantage of it being completely free, software and all. There's no reason any average user cannot switch and be perfectly at home with it.

pulsarnc, you're the perfect candidate to make the switch and see for yourself. Clunky old laptops are the perfect machines for it.

• Options

Rocky, So as a user, you have a long time experience as do I. I'm younger by a few years than you and my first computer was built from components on a single circuit board with an Intel 8085 processor and wired wrapped, tested before soldering as my senior project. Yes, Linux is reliable and one version or another is used in more devices than any other OS currently especially as an imbedded OS for almost all medical and technical automation, testing, measurement, communication device out there including routers, DVRs and any other kind of electronic tool, device etc. including every smart phone.

What, I don't believe is that it is the answer to every minor issue people bring in to the forum by asking questions that indicate they don't have the same level of experience necessary to take on loading and configuring any operating system, much less one of the hundreds of versions of Linux.

Sure if you are willing to seriously take the time to actually be with them and walk them through the process then the majority of the time you will be successful in getting them up and running. But based on the level of user experience expressed here by the questions I read, imho you do a disservice to simply say switch to Linux. Old dogs can learn new tricks, but only if they are taught correctly and truly have the desire to learn.

I spent the last 18 years teaching online classes remotely and even with students with years of OS experience it can be difficult to make them successful with new (to them) technologies. I was very successful at my job because I understand that concept and had the patience to do what I enjoyed.

I'll leave it at that and you can go on pretending that anybody can just pop in a bootable flash stick and be up and running Linux in no time at all. Just be ready to deal with them when they don't even understand what it is or how to create that bootable flash drive you told them was sooo easy...

Regards,

Bret (Ruger4me)

• Options
    edited February 2023

Sadly, I have to agree with you. It can be a frustrating or even impossible task for some people. Not all, however. The fortunate thing is that there are some very good instructions out there, most notably the ones for Mint. That's one reason why it is by far the most often recommended Linux version for newbies.

Of the two steps, making the bootable USB is the easier. Getting to a machine's BIOS to enable booting from that stick can be trickier, and it's where most failures happen. That's due to the fact that it seems like no two computer makers have their BIOS set up the same and it can be very confusing. (I run three machines of three makes, and they're all different.)

Once over that hump and succeeding once, however, most folks can march right along and make the switch with hardly a turned hair.

Maybe, between the two of us, we could lead brave hearts through it.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭

rocky I am one of those old farts who prefers black powder. that said I mean no disrespect but I don't know how to even load a picture and don't really care to learn, as I don't own a cell phone to take the picture with. I can turn my computer on and get to the sites I use and for the most part that is is, I used to know how to reboot to a time in the past, but now that has changed so much I can't find the place I used to do it from. I think one of the updates changed things, I was using an old laptop that came with windows 7. Its not so much I wouldn't want to change I just don't think its worth the time and hassle to learn everything again when I am just now getting to know the things as they are.

as ruger said we all have are specialties and mine just happens not to be computers,, My first intro to them was in the service when I had to put the entire armory, serial numbers, to weapons on computer, we used keypunch cards and I got stuck doing that, and it was months trying to get all the serial numbers right, as my typing hasn't improved much since then and lets just say things were screwed up for a while. It may have been this experience that turned me off from computers.

My hat is off to both of you guys though for taking the time to understand the process involved, its just not for me.......

• Options

I get that. Reloading ammunition is beyond the scope of some people's talents, too.

I know I come off as something of a fanatic on this, but I'm more of a fervent advocate in my own estimation. Many if not most people would be perfectly suited to using a Linux machine if only they didn't have to install it themselves. If you could buy one from the store with Linux, millions more would be using it. most wouldn't even know they weren't using Windows, actually. (They do now sell Linux machines, but most of them are expensive and much too high-end for the average Joe.)

• Options

For a while, I was buying cheap laptops, installing Linux and sending them to people at cost. I quit that when shipping got to be as much as the machines. I still will put Linux on a hard drive and ship that - if someone has the ability to install a drive. I've done several of those recently.

You can get good capacity drives now for well under a hundred bucks. If you buy one rather than take one from your machine, you have the ability to go right back to Windows in the very unlikely case you don't like Linux.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******

From your start menu, click the settings gear, select System, and then select Sound. Ensure there is an output device selected in the first drop down. Ensure the master volume is set above 0 (ideally closer to 36 to 56 depending on environment) in the second, and if those both look correct, then select the "Manage sound devices" link right under where it says "Troubleshoot". There you will find a list of output devices and a means to test or disable/enable the correct device.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

If none of the above helps, it will require some additional investigation. Those are just the first things to try.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

Be aware that the tyrants at MS will re-install the update that caused your problem as soon as they discover that you undid it.

• Options

@hillbille I hear you sir and that is my point! We can't expect everyone to have the knowledge or experience much less the desire to take on something new to them.

If you or any other members are ever in North Texas and want to spend some time with me I would gladly help them switch to Linux if they desired, but I will not ever blindly tell someone that the answer to all their problems is Linux or any other OS.

Heck I post questions all the time about stuff I don't know because there is a wealth of knowledge available here, but I take all those suggestions with a grain of salt. Anyways, sorry for the distraction I'll go back to just moderating and keep my opinions to myself about things I do actually understand and know, and leave it to those who only think they do to, to keep on "helping" with the computer issues.

• Options

I did not think a moderator would stoop to insults, but I guess I was wrong there, too.

• Options

Well, I'm sorry you feel insulted.