In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin Golden 39 A Not Ejecting

Mount RaceMount Race Member Posts: 3

I just purchased a very good condition Marlin Golden 39 A serial number S 14913 (1958-1959) at a gun show. When I got this home I tried cycling some rounds through it to see how the action worked. Unfortunately it will not eject a round. I did a little YouTube research and found that the small ejection post is flush in its cradle and has no spring tension. From what I can tell the method to clean the bore would be to press down on this ejection post and turn the screw with a cut out to the 12 o'clock position to hold down this post for better access to the bore. On the video I was looking at, it appears there is some spring tension on this ejection post. Mine has no tension and I can hinge and lift this post easily out of its holding cradle.

Any advice on how I can repair this ejection problem would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Check the schematic on the Numrich gun parts site. It shows a spring that should be putting tension on the ejector. If yours is broken or missing, it should be a simple replacement. Bob

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

The whole ejector assembly is held in by two screws on the left side of the receiver.

As stated, it is probably a broken spring. Good luck.

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭✭

Could be THAT dirty too! Take it apart, clean and inspect. Then you should know if its a bad spring or not.

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like WD-40 varnish everywhere in the recesses. More firearm actions have stopped working because of WD-40 than all other causes combined. Use carb or brake cleaner with a nylon brush to get that varnish out. It still may be a spring issue but at least you will have a clean action when done.

• Mount RaceMount Race Member Posts: 3

Hi all,

Thank you for your responses. This is my first time using this forum and I thought I would get an email notice of responses but I did not. So sorry for the late response.

The gun is clean, no gunk/sludge and I have now verified, via a gunsmith, that the spring and the ejector post are both broke. I think the difficulty will be in finding an ejector assembly. I've been online and there seem to be slim pickings. My rifle was manufactured in 1958-59 (has an S prefix to the serial no.) so the ejector assembly is steel not brass as I've seen with later models. The dealer I purchased the rifle from indicated they will pay for the repair as they were unaware that it was broken when they sold it to me. The gunsmith thought it may be a challenge to get an original ejector assembly due to its age. Right now my rifle is in the hands of the gunsmith the dealer works with. I've looked up the parts on Numrich but there are none in stock and I'm finding that to be more the norm as I search. I'm trying to do a little leg work for the gunsmith to help my cause.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I can get the ejector assembly?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

• vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭

also try Jack First, Homestead parts, hope you connect.

• Mount RaceMount Race Member Posts: 3

Thank you all for your help. I have researched the suggested gun shops for the parts I need. Poppert's has them and I've seen them on Ebay as well. I've saved all the suggested web sites to my favorites for future reference.

Thank you all for the assistance and information.

Have a good day.

Mark