In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Renting gunsmith tools?

Hello, all.

I am assembling a real basic rifle and probably won't do this two or three of these over my lifetime. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith tool rental company, or is anyone willing to rent/sell their own? I am working on a Remington 700, so I need an action wrench and gauges for a .243. I have a barrel vise.

The reason I ask for recommendations is that I have found several online but have no experience with any.

If this is not an appropriate place for this ad, I apologize in advance. I did some searching on here and did not find much.

Thanks,

Eric

Comments

• forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭

The ‘experts’ forum will serve you better ,,,,,,

• chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭

Since you already have a barrel vise, I'm guessing that you already do some gunsmithing, and have a shop. There are many good wrenches available, but as the Rem 700 is basically a cylinder at 1.35", a very serviceable wrench can be made out of bar stock bolted together and reamed to size. Mine is 1" x 3" cold rolled, with a 2 foot long, 1" dia. handle.

The real caveat is keeping the recoil lug aligned at bottom dead center, and using a recoil lug fixture that bolts to the receiver with a 1/4-28 screw will keep it aligned properly. Apply some thought here, as there are many aftermarket recoil lugs- tapered, parallel sided, and oversize to .312", so you need the appropriate fixture.

Renting stuff is real problematic as there aren't many companies, if any, that rent, except for chamber reamers. And G0, NO-GO gauges are relatively inexpensive.

• eaheah Member Posts: 8 ✭✭

Thank you forgemonkey and chris8X57. Points well taken from both replies.

Eric