In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.38 Auto/.38 Super

I have several boxes of new .38 Auto brass and a .38 Super Colt. Any issue with loading that brass for the Super to Super specs.?

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Cartridges of the World states "The Super Auto is identical to the original cartridge..." The Lyman Reloading Handbook states "The 38 Automatic uses the same case", i.e., as the 38 Super. Neither states that there is a strenth difference in the two cases. They only stress not to shoot 38 Super ammo in pistols chambered for the 38 Automatic. Good luck.

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, navc130. I have a couple issues of COTW as well as several Lymans and others and have read that. The reason for my question; I weighed cases from several different boxes and found and average of 7% difference auto vs. super with the super heavier. That seems quite a lot. That's a greater difference than I find in military vs. commercial in cases like .223, .308, & .30/06 and we are repeatedly cautioned to reduce loads in military cases for those. Of course we are dealing with greater pressure in those cartridges than we are in the .38's.

I should probably load some in each auto and super cases and chronograph them to see if there's any difference.

Thanks again.

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

I thought of weighing the cases last nite. Your test certainly indicates a stronger case for the Super; probably a thicker web at the base. Just my thought - The 38 Auto cases should at least be good for a mild load in the Super. But, you may have to shorten the recoil spring for reliable function. Interesting project, good luck.

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Colt 1911 in 38 Super and a Springfield Armory Omega with 45 acp / 10mm / & 38 Super barrels - also a Tokarev with 9mm / & 38 Super barrels. I would be interested to know your results of the loads you put over the chronograph and how they function in cycling.

Best Regards - AQH