In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help with Pietta SAA Issue

I’ve got a brand new never fired Pietta 1873 SAA that I bought last month and recently noticed some timing issues while checking the cylinder lockup. This happens on 3 of the 6 chambers. When the hammer is all the way back in full cock I’m able to move the cylinder counter clockwise slightly, not fully out of battery to the point where the bullet would strike the edge of the forcing cone head on, but it’s definitely more than just regular cylinder play. There isn’t an audible click like I know you’re supposed to listen for if the cylinder can be rotated clockwise, and when I look up close it looks like the bolt is retracting slightly as I move the cylinder counter clockwise, the only sound is when the bolt comes back into contact with the notch as I move the cylinder back clockwise. When the hammer is all the way forward, I’m able to rotate the cylinder counter clockwise to the point where the cylinder actually locks between the next notch. Again this is only on 3 of the 6 chambers, and they aren’t all in a row.

I’ve heard that when doing the cylinder function check a failure on one or two chambers suggests that the problem is with the SAA cylinder, with an individual stop notch or tooth on the sprocket experiencing wear or damage, but a failure on all chambers suggests that the problem is in the guts of the revolver instead. What do ya’ll think? I guess importantly, is it something a gunsmith could fix so I don’t have to go through the whole warranty process? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated from this SAA newbie

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭

Go with the warranty. Once a “ gunship” touches it the warranty is void . Imo

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭✭

What Grasshopper said. Warranty.

My fatherinlaw recently had similar problems with a Charter Arms 22LR revolver. If Pietta is as good to their customers as they are, Pietta will take care of you very well.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    BpbreloadingBpbreloading Member Posts: 35

I've had several customers brand new Pietta's most of them were cap and ball.

But you're going to have the same guts inside.

The slot where the hand goes up through was rough I had to clean it all up. Then the spring up under the trigger guard for the cylinder stop, spring was too stiff.

Overall the internals on the gun were pretty bad, too many sharp edges with burrs.

• Options
    NorthernGunner69NorthernGunner69 Member Posts: 12

My only qualm with sending it back for warranty is that I got it through GunBroker. Looked up the warranty info and apparently I had to fill out an online warranty registration form within 30 days of purchase, and I missed that window by a week. My own fault. If I was able to convince them to still take it, the warranty policy is that I have to send it back to the original seller, who then mails it off. At that point the wait can be up to 3 months, and if they do send me a new gun instead of just repairing it then I have to go to my local LEO, explain the situation and fill out a new pistol purchase permit for the new gun (this happened to me with a rock island M206 and was told by an rep from the state police gun desk that it’s the protocol when sent a new gun after a warranty send in. Obviously I followed the law and did, just a pain dealing with the LEO clerk that was very confused). For all that hassle I’d pay a gunsmith if it’s not terribly steep. If Pietta would still take regardless of the distributor's (Davidsons) warranty policy, I'll definitely look into it. Could always go the route of having a gunsmith take a look, and if they decide it's something that needs fixing and won't be solved with breaking in the gun via cycling 400-500 times with dummies, then I send it in for warranty aware of what's causing the issue. Regarding the whole "break in" I've read that Colt clones like Pietta can be "fixed" with some hard break in on the parts. As for actual Colts, a dude on a function check post in the Colt forum said, “In my experience, most Colt's leave the factory with the bolt dropping a little late into the lead, but usually wear in to correct timing.”

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

If you care to try and work on it yourself, there is A LOT of info out there for repairing and 'tuning' Colt SAA. Good luck.

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭

Contact Pietta. Just bypass dealing with Davidson’s. Had an American Arms made by Uberti SAA do the same and I contacted them and they fixed it. I bet Pietta will take care of it.