In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

High standard hd military

tobyfloyd61tobyfloyd61 Member Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
edited March 2023 in Ask the Experts

Got the button and spring for slide stop or hold back but not sure which way spring goes took a couple pics for y’all to see if I’m even close

Comments

• tobyfloyd61tobyfloyd61 Member Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

I’m thinking first pic but I’m not sure

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

2nd pix for me

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

have you taken the original out??? if not it should be easy to tell once it is out, looks like the spring has a small bend in one end and not the other, just look at the one you take out to see if the bend is in the slide stop or not.

The original button and spring were not in it when I got the pistol

• boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Just for you my friend, I took the grips off of one of my HD's that probably haven't been removed since it left the factory. That's the best picture I could muster. I left the magazine in the gun, that's the magazine button in the center pushing upward, just in case anybody is wonderin'.

Looks like picture #1 is correct, good luck on getting her back in action.

edited March 2023

Thank you booger I have mine in same way I think my mag is out

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

So, how many of you have seen the HDM OSS version? Quite a rare specimen.

edited March 2023

OSS ? Not familiar with that pleas tell us did some research on it never heard of it or saw one but neat article on them

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

All I can say is they worked pretty well for their intended purpose. As late as 1972, a few were still in use by certain agencies. Some of them had a slight modification. You know the safety locks the bolt closed. Some (at least the one I had knowledge of) had the actual safety modified to only lock the bolt closed while allowing the pistol to fire. This made it even quieter. The 'safety' was the halfcock notch and shooter caution.

I have the HDM that Dad bought new post WW2. It has the 6 1/2" barrel and is in typical "carried in the glove box" condition but still shoots like a rifle.

• John J StimsonJohn J Stimson Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

The pistol model was the U.S.A. MODEL H-D training pistol with a Bell Laboratories developed suppressor and is listed in the High Standard factory records as a HDMS. I have a friend who has one and I have been with him when he fired into a wastebasket with a few phone books to stop the bullet. They were ordered by the Ordnance Department with a good percentage being forwarded to the O.S.S. These were made in early 1944 and through early 1945. The government had ordered a .380 caliber suppressed pistol but the order was cancelled before the war was ended. This .380 with no suppressor surfaced in 1947 as the MODEL G .380.

Another production run was made in the early 1950s for the CIA I have some of thse serial numbers but I cannot find them in the High Standard factory serial number log.

High Standard in Houston was refurbishing some of these suppressed pistols for some government agency whose name I don't recall about 20 years ago.

Note these external hammer pistols without a safety came with a card that stated that the half cock notch was not to be used as a safety.

The MODEL H-D MILITARY came with either a 4.50" or a 6.75" barrel.

Great read John thanks for the info

This discussion has been closed.