In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope base and rings question for Digex C50 with Illuminator mounted onto scope scope?

Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2023 in General Discussion

Anyone had any experience with mounting this Digex C50 30mm NV (night vision) scope onto a Winchester 70, post 64 Long action rifle? (the barrel is a standard taper post 64 barrel, NOT bull barrel)

Appears maybe?

Will I or should I use a Picatinny type one piece rail, probably High 30mm rings and I want to easily remove and re-install the scope and have it hold close to one inch at 100 yards when removing and re-installing. (this scope has a very large front obj end which measures 70mm)

Will Leupold QR two piece bases allow use of the Leupold 30mm QR rings properly spaced with this scope with the clamp on IR attached to the front tube and get proper eye relief and if so what height ring?

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not familiar with that particular device BUT when mounting a couple of other brand (ATN maybe?) NV optics a full length 'picatinny rail' was required. The Weaver rail I had required some file work as the scope mount crossbolts for Pic rails are bit larger diameter than Weaver. We had no issues with barrel or bolt handle clearance on a Win 70 action.

• Options

Thanks for the info Mobuck.

The specs on this scope are misleading indicating that the obj is 50mm.

The total obj diameter is 70mm due to the outer covering around the 50mm tube.

I did notice that about the Picatinny cross slots being wider than Weaver or standard base cross slots and Picatinny rings would not fit onto standard base cross slots unless mods were made but standard cross slot rings would fit onto the Picatinny bases USUALLY. I've had to file on them Weaver bases also even making addition cross slots.

Also this scope has very limited ring space on the front of the tube when the clamp on IR is installed.

Summary: Buying the wrong mounts and rings in this case can easily result in some more of that

EXPERIENCE is what you get when you did not get what you wanted.

• Options

I got a really good scope mount combo by using the Leupold 2 piece QR bases and QR super high 30mm rings on the Pulsar Digex C50 scope onto the Win 70, post 64 30;06 rifle. Scope total OD is 70 mm objective. Scope probably would not fit onto a non tapered barrel using super High QR rings

This allows me to easily as desired remove and install the Leupold 4x12x40, 1 inch tube scope and retain zero at 100 yards.

The Pulsar C50 does all that's claimed so far. Been using it about 4 months.

It has a slight learning curve.