In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

16 Gauge Crescent single barrel shotgun "Genuine Laminated Steel" barrel?

PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

I have an old Crescent Firearms single-barrel 16 gauge shotgun, outside hammer on left of breech, serial number 9055, which looks like Damascus steel barrel, but don't know if it is actually Damascus or is a Damascus finish. On the top of the barrel near the breech, fine lettering says "Genuine Laminated Steel". Does that mean Damascus, or no?

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin

To me that says Damascus.

• Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭

The old Crescent I had was marked "fluid steel" or something like that. I'm sure yours is Damascus. Use only low pressure loads if you shoot it at all. It may be a short chamber, too.

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys, my thoughts confirmed! I'm listing it to sell the old girl. I personally would never shoot old Damascus barrels, no matter the load, in case the spiral wraps became unsafe. I consider them wallhangers, though I know of some who shoot them carefully. I just don't have any way, nor do I believe most have, to ascertain the integrity after all these years. And it may be a short chamber as well.