In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shooting bench top material

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2023 in General Discussion

Several years ago(10-12 years), I built a shooting bench out of wood. It has worked great and is a good solid rest, I also made it with wheels that contact the ground when you lift the back end up so it can be moved easily. I made the top out of countertop material and bolt a Caldwell Rock Jr front rest to it. After being left outside too often the top material is a mess and needs to be replaced.

What should I use? I don't want to use any sort of wood, even treated plywood starts warping after a few times getting wet. Is there some sort of sturdy 1/2-3/4" thick plastic material that is easy to cut and drill?

I originally planned on always storing it inside but lots of times for whatever reason it just got left out. The frame and seat I used mostly 2x6 and 2x8 so those haven't warped much yet.

What do you guys suggest?

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Wolmanized deck boards or Synthetic deck boards. The wolmanized wood should be coated every two or three years. Good luck.

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

I made one out of an old wire reel and covered it with some rubber roofing material. It has held up very well for a few years.

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭

Several years ago my son by another mother and father gifted me a new shooting bench .It is built entirely out of corian type counter top panels . It is an inch thick and built using stainless steel brackets and bolts . He worked for a commercial door / counter installer . It replaced one built out of treated 2x8 lumber that lasted 22 years . I doubt it will need replacing any time soon . All the material he used was scrap laying around in the shop . Hate to think what it would cost if I had to buy it.

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭

Go to a flooring store and get there left over outdoor vinyl flooring scraps

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭

They are making counter tops out of concrete now maybe that would work for you, sure won't warp.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

A buddy of mine used leftover composite deck boards for his benchtop. Synthetic surface so it never needs painting and won't warp or give anybody splinters. If I ever need a new bench, I was thinking of going that route. Bob

• Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

Got a "Habitat for Humanity" store near you? Watch for Corian, etc. countertops that are donated that they can't use. Cut them into usable pieces with a circular saw.

Or the "Composite deck boards" would be my second choice.

• shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭

I'll check out the corian stuff. I don't want to use deckboards because I want a solid top. I don't want gaps or valleys for brass to fall into or anything that makes the top not perfectly even. Yes, I'm picky haha.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I've transitioned over to using a BOGS Deathgrip Shooting Tripod.

If you get a chance to use one, you won't go back.

Believe I paid $150ish for mine. Carbon Fiber units are available for around $320ish.

It has a three position leg angle lock system that allow it to go from 7" to 59" it's extremely well made and ingenious. IMHO. Throw a shoulder strap on it and take it with you anywhere.

Love Mine. 👍😁

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******

Used countertops is a great idea,,

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

Build the top and frame it out with 1X3. Then pour about an inch of urethane over it. I would find a steel plate and insert it into the bench, before pouring the urethane. I used a countertop on a set of cabinets and then routered a steel plate in for my reloaders.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

My shooting bench top is full 1" thick white oak saw mill lumber. The base is 6" diameter hedge (osage orange for those city folks) posts set minimum 3' deep. This thing DOES NOT MOVE/WIGGLE/FLEX.