In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

inletting on a stock

vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭

hi all, would like to inlet a coin into a wooden stock but don't know what product to put over the coin that could be sanded/worked down to the same contour as the stock and still be seen clearly. any advice will be appreciated. as always, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

I don't know that there is any "correct" way to do it, but my answer is to ensure the recess for the coin will allow you to mold and shape the wood the way you want it after the coin is inserted, such that you get somewhat flush (or as close to flush as you desire for your project) to the coin with the finished wood after sanding. Then simply topcoat the whole stock with the clearcoat finish you intend to use. So if you are using something like Tung oil or a Teak Oil/Tung Oil blend (or whichever topcoat you prefer), you would just rub that over the top of the coin as you coat the wood and it will not soak into the coin (obviously) but will clear coat it the same as the wood. You will want to ensure the coin is glued into the recess with an adhesive that won't be softened by the topcoat, if you use this method.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

brownell's acra glass. inlet the coin slightly below flush, level and add the acra glass to just over flush. let harden and fine same to flush, then finish coat.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

I have done this a couple of ways. Inletting the coin to its full depth. Had to go a bit deeper into the wood in order to adjust for stock contour. Then covering coin inlay with a leather protector in order to sand smooth the wood around it.

Best way for me was to reduce the silver coin's back side with a wide file. Making it much thinner and pliable to bend to the stock profile. No sanding of the wood was needed with this method and the coins front viewable surface was left perfect!

• vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭

good advice, thanks all !