In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A real gun question for ya'all

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Do any of you have any English double rifles that you have fired or have you fired the old standards like the 470 Nitro express or the 450-400 calibers in other guns?

I have never shot a fine English double but I did fire the 458 Win Mag and the 460 Weatherby mag. I did own and shoot a 375H&H (short for hurt and hurt) for my Encore.

I would love to see and shoot some of these fine old rifles and can't imagine the cost of each round to go plinking for the day.

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭

Go to Kentucky ballistics you tube he owned and shoots a lot of exotic guns and double rifles of about every caliber he also has one of the few t rex rifles and big bore pistols if it kicks like all get out he has it

He tells the cost of the rounds and shoots a lot of things watermelons gallons of glue and the ballistic dummys

He is also the guy the Rufus? round exploded the rifle and about killed him Luck was on his side vidios up on it also

Good guy i think a ex LEO and obvious works out a lot

Check him out just a guy who loves to shoot the big toys

I have a 458 win mag I bought at leat 45 yrs ago

My nephew picked the gun bug I heard he bought a 460 whetherbe and a 375

I m sure this summer as we do most summers get together and waste a bunch of ammo

As for the double rifles I would love to have one but my pockets are no where close to deep enought

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

I own a .375 h&h Kenny Jarrett r700 and have shot a .416 rem bolt gun. I have never shot anything larger or a double rifle. But I’d love to.

• Options
    Gunnut358Gunnut358 Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭

Truth be told, I would love to lean into a .600 or .700 Nitro Express and take the ride.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭

One of my buddies had a English double rifle.I don't remember the caliber,but it was a Rigby,less than a 500 caliber.The main thing I remember was rounds were about 65 bucks each 30 years ago.

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

I fired a 500 NE twice, and I knew I had pulled the trigger on a big one.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭

Since you mentioned Bridgeport supply the other day, have you seen the triple barrell shotgun they have in the rack at Marrietta?? I didn't take the time to see the brand or price but did take a double take when I saw the 3 holes at the end of the gun. It had a single barrell on top of the double barrell and they looked to be shotgun size bores. I would bet it would be to heavy to be practical...........

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I am at that store pretty often. They have the $60,000 gattling gun on display there too. I will be in that area next week and check that drilling out, thanks for the heads up.

• Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭

Marshall Jones owner of Jones Fort in Redding Ca. made a two gauge (that is two round balls to the pound, eight ounces each!!) black powder muzzle loader like Frederick Selous used to hunt elephants. The video of him shooting it is awesome. The recoil spins him around 90 degrees. I don't remember the powder charge but I believe the gun weighed 14 pounds.He did an outstanding job making it.