In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1890 outer magazine tube removal help....update.....

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2023 in Ask the Experts

Any suggestions on removing a stuck outer magazine tube on a Winchester model 1890? Receiver and both magazine tube support rings have had Kroil on them for a week. I did remove the pin too.....

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

According to The Gun Digest Rimfire Disassembly book: the magazine tube is only held in by the cross pin in the rear tube hanger. Like you, I have never seen Kroil work any miracles on stuck parts. Possibly some mild heat might work, or, a punch in the feed slot.

Note: on early models the tube hangers are twisted to remove. On later models they are driven out to the right. In case you are going to remove the hangers from the barrel. Good luck.

• Options

I've tried the punch method. The plastic one's split and the brass one's start to deform the feed slot. Gonna try some heat on the supports and freeze on the tube tomorrow if I can round up all of the needed stuff. Really need some soft jaw pliers, but can't find any locally in my one horse town...

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭

Be careful using pliers, the outer tube can deform if too much pressure.

• Options

Figured that since I'd need some way to get a grip on the tube, I bought some soft jawed pliers from Lowe's, and they worked great.

Before I put the heat on them, I thought that I'd try something. I put the pliers perpendicular on the tube, tight, but not tight enough to squish it, and started to whack the side of the pliers. Before long, the darned thing started to move....

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin

Great, ya got it!