In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester model 42

tobyfloyd61tobyfloyd61 Member Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

Picked up a 42 today first year production gun it’s a plain barrel gun with standard wood and full choke the bolt and shell lifter are jeweled I think Winchester would have done this for and extra cost just woundering what yalls thoughts are if May be it was done later thanks

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

There was a time 20 - 30 years ago when home jeweling jobs were popular.

• Options

Yea I remember that a pencil eraser and some kinda compound that slips my mind what it was rubbing compound I think

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭

The mod 42 is a jewel of a gun, see what I did there?, but that is definitely not Winchester jeweling. Regardless, it is my favorite pump gun of all time. I've still got 3 of them in one safe or another around here, and they will be among the last to go if I ever get around and thin out the herd a bit. Judy says i procrastinate a bit and I tell her that I haven't got around to procrastinating yet. Congrats on the new gun and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. Bob

• Options

Thanks I did not figure it was but had to ask

• Options
    AlbinsFirearmsAlbinsFirearms Member Posts: 14

The few Model 42 shotguns which I have had with jeweled bolts and lifters had been completely refurbished including upgraded wood & checkering and re-blued steel. In other words, a previous owner had commissioned that work from someone. FYI - At one time Winchester sent those shotguns out to have the Simmons vent ribs installed according to Winchester historical information. That was apparently more cost effective for them as compared to doing that in-house on 410 gauges.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 42 with a Simmons rib on it. Also a 20 GA. & 3" mag. I used for many years duck hunting. Killed MANY doves with the 20 ga. Great guns.