In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

If SHTF today

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

Would you be ready?

Would you bug out or in?

What would you wish you had more of?

How far are your loved ones?

Are they ready too?

Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Yes
    2. ain't goin' no where
    3. toilet paper
    4. 20 minutes
    5. Oh, yes.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,186 ✭✭✭✭

you never know how prepared you are till it happens, even the best of plans can change in an instant........ that said I am sure I have enough for the first few days/week till we know just what is going on

• Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭

Ready: Yes

Bug: in…most likely

Shortages: scotch, water filters, fuel

Loved ones: varies, but generally with 100 miles

They prepared: no. They all know they’re invited to come to the compound. Long term food supply could be of concern if enough show empty handed…can only prepare so much. We can repel the early attacks and maintain a good quality of life…not expecting madness to last for more than 12 months.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,673 ******
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭

No one is completely 'ready'.

The 'most ready' don't bug out-they're already there.

You can never have too much fuel(or paper products).

If your 'loved ones' are more than 3-4 hours away, they may as well have their own plan for survival.

So their 'readiness' needs to be independent of yours.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Buggin' In.

Everything I need is here, including like minded neighbors with a plan. Including blocking off our very curvy, narrow, (one way in, turn around at the end, same way out.) Holler road.

In our neighborhood are also Jeep/ATV/UTV Trails that go Wwaayyy back up in the Mountains. Doe Mtn. Recreational area, 3500 acres.

Not going anywhere. Moved here on purpose.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

Staying put

No close place to run to

anyway I would feel more comfortable being my own house with my wife and dogs .

I'm sure my sons and their loved ones would show up then we could decide based on what's going on

No matter your skill set luck still has a big part in it

but it Would be great to part of a larger group no doubt safety in numbers

Will add basic stuff we normally have a month or two here any way

Besides the government will protect us

Where's that green font

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I've been absolutely loading up on canned goods for the last couple years. I have a god awful lot of milk crates full. Working at a Grocery store, I have been hitting the "Closeout" section pretty much everyday. (Buying things at Cost.) [And designating a fair amount of my daily $$ to it.] Plus, I have been "Prepping," for years and years.

I have been very selective about what I have been buying/stashing. Not only have all the food in the house that I need, it is Trade/Barter Gold. (Actually better than Gold/Silver in that regard.)

I have made clear Family/Friends are welcome here, (But) DO NOT show up empty handed. I have specified, (for years) what they need to show up with.

• Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

I'm in North Dakota. Surviving our 4-6 winter months currently would be near impossible without electricity or fuel.

I am a casual prepper, we would probably survive but it would be very tough in an apocalypse scenario but I'd figure something out, I do have around 35 acres of old overgrown trees around my house. I have alot of materials around to make a wood stove or something if I needed, I am pretty handy in that regard

Food is not a problem. I will have a problem with water as the only well on our property is now inoperative and I've been on rural water for 21 years.

I grow food as one of my means of living and even bought a big electric grinder to make flour, works good, way more capacity than I need. Someone asked about the no electricity thing...I said I'd fire up the generator or if that far ahead that I didn't have gas I'd pull the grinder assembly off the motor and use a. Ice grip on the shaft...or something, I'd figure it out, I work on stuff like this pretty often on the farm.

Most of my family is near enough, some in town but my two brothers farm is 3-4 miles away and there's a 3500 head dairy between us(with a enormous well) that we get along real good with.

Definitely bug in unless several years went by and the situation never improved then maybe our family unit would have to head south to avoid the crazy cold we get here in ND.

• Options
    Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭

They will just use a Drone and Vaporise your house and everyone in it..The homegrown terrorist have to be taken out..and everyone will cheer...

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭

Ken makes an excellent point: When folks are hungry, canned food is more valuable than gold.

All these ads about owning gold for 'rough times' is BS, First off, those who own gold most likely have it locked away in a bank somewhere. Secondly, how do those folks expect to barter with gold? As soon as some trader/pirate/smuggler finds out a person has gold, IT'S GONE/STOLEN.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,243 ✭✭✭✭

If you get one of these you can get water from your well without electricity.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Staying put, excellent water supply without a pump, free natural gas for heat and running the gen set, lots of food in storage, lots of chickens, wild game and good crop growing ground. Family is scattered from coast to coast but they know to come here with all they can carry. Can house about 12-15 people, it ain't gonna be the Ritz but will be safe and comfortable.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

A stash of bud light ,freezer full of frozen burritos, a 10/22 and 1000 rounds ammo I will hold them off🥜

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭

I'm coming for the burritos. You can keep that near-beer. :D

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

I have enough food for a few months and preps to "last" after that........

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭

I think about this from time to time. Exactly where are most people going to go that thousands of other people aren’t going to be as well(Alaska and maybe Wyoming & Montana aside). For instance if society collapsed in WA you’ll have thousands heading to the mountains? Game would be gone in weeks. A huge majority that have no woods skills would die from exposure, especially in the winter. Native Americans did survive in winter but they had been living that way for thousands of years. You’re not going to make it in -20° in a nylon pup tent if you’re forced to do this in January. Some people definitely will survive but so many will just die off, especially if they are on medications.

Most likely I’m bugging in. I have shelter in the house. Food stored but need more. I do have a giant walnut tree that drops a truckload of walnuts. We grow some vegetables. I have relatives in town and they are armed and some are former military and they have relatives and friends who are also former military so we band together.

We have 2 major things that would necessitate leaving. Mt. Rainier blowing it’s top or a nuclear accident at Hanford. I’m in the middle of both those things.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure what this proverbial caca hitting the fan is suppose to be, however one should be prepared. Looking back on history of the depression, people did not loose their homes and farms to banks account of not making payments, but rather they couldn’t pay their taxes, and the bank would foreclose to protect their interest in the loan, and not loose their loan to the government for selling that property for taxes. Having gold on hand to pay the taxes in this event is a hedge against loosing your property. I’m pretty sure the government isn’t going to except canned goods as payment.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

Yes, I do think there are definitely scenarios that even the most set-up person needs to consider. It may be completely untenable to stay where you are depending on what S is hitting the F. I am getting very well established in my new location, but the area could flood me out. What then? I can't stay in 10 feet of standing water very long, so I need (and most folks do too) to have a plan to leave if necessary. And having a place to go to (as you note) won't be so simple.

And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

I’m probably at higher risk than most on this forum.

I travel 50% or more for work & that leaves a certain risk most dont have. Being as I might be anywhere in any NATO friendly country on any given day, things might go very bad for me.

Lets say, I was in Taiwan and China attacked, probably end of it for me. Right now, Im sitting in the Admirals club at DFW airport.

In a true SHTF scenario this isn’t a great start, but it is my reality.

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭✭

Who was it that said, "No military plan ever survived the initial contact with the enemy." In other words, just be prepared as best you can and whatever happens, happens.

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

I'm always ready, my son is all ready and my parents are definitely ready. I will stand my ground and protect my family and neighbors with my life!!! We always have plenty of canned food, ammo, and a plan, should things go south. I can live off the land and could sustain us indefinitely with all the necessities. I guess our biggest concern, would be fresh water if it was contaminated by chemicals. Living in the heart lands of the pines, we are surrounded by many fresh water lake, streams and rivers. Plenty of wild game and fish.

The only people who wouldn't survive, IMHO, are the city dwellers. They rely too much on others, to sustain their lives. Like Hank Jr. said, a country boy can survive.

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

I'm staying put. Being a country boy we stay pretty well provided for when the rest of the world shuts down. Hurricanes, ice storms, etc. Some of our kids/ grandkids/ great grandkids are within an hour, others 4 hours.

Anything I wish we had more of? Matches, TP and yeast.

Of course it is for bread! How dare you accuse me of the illicit manufacture of alcoholic beverages? And that roll of copper tubing is for repairs to our plumbing system. 😋

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭

I’ll be fine at your moms house🤫

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,963 ✭✭✭✭

I'd blame you.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭

@allen griggs If there is a prize to be won here for the most innovative idea or suggestion, you win hands down with the living water well bucket. You can go a long time with out food, but water is key to survival. I often wondered how I could utilize are well in an emergency.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,243 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you waltermoe. I have one of them, along with a 300 foot rope.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

we are as close to the BS as we have ever been

• Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭

Sadly, we can add the possibility of global thermal nuclear war to the possibilities with Potato Head

I am hoping my capacity to reload most common calibers will make me a valuable asset to neighbors and give me barter goods.

At 74 I am going nowhere but fact is zombies can easily firebomb any home so as was said luck or better dumb luck will play a big role.

I am fortunate in that I require no medication rare at my age

I have small solar for little things and have converted some DVDs to MP4/AVI videos on usb drives. Need to get a small LCD low wattage TV. Entertainment (distraction) a must for sanity

Old US 90% silver might be a good idea for exchange, dimes and quarters. Gold is more monetary collapse insurance and for rebuilding. IMO little value in a societal collapse

Do not let you neighbors know what you have. Ask them is they have food they can trade you for ammo. Make them believe you have less than them or they will be coming for you

3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭

On the topic of getting water out of your well, there are also companies that make pitcher pumps that you can use to get water should your power go out. I may or may not have direct experience with one of these...

• Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭

Regarding a nuke blast emp effect. Standard ammo cans will protect electronic devices and remember your gun safe is also a shield

Remove firearms and fill it with everything electronic you might need. A small solar charger will at least let you have batteries and small stuff running

Research surviving a nuke blast. It is not a certain death thing although may be a wish I hadn't survived thing

3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭

If a nuclear bomb has to hit here........I hope I catch it! Would be horrific to have one hit 100 miles away and slowly deal with the fallout! 🤢

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭

Dont think there is a pitcher pump capable of lifting water anywhere near 300 feet?

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭

There are hand pumps designed and sold just for that application. Two prominent companies, just use Google. Not technically a pitcher pump, but a hand pump all the same!

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,040 ******

That'll do it,,nice ^^^