In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nosebleeds -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

While on Blood Thinner, really suck.

Just saying.

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Had a problem with that when I was younger. Go see the quack, and get the problem areas cauterized, problem solved....hopefully.

Worked for me anyway. Good luck Ken.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,040 ******

Careful with that.

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

Being on Blood thinners for my heart, I hate getting even the smallest cuts or scratches. Looks like a murder scene for just a small pin prick or tiny sheet metal cut. I stopped shaving with a razor for my head, and my son bough me a skull shaver. I nicked my head two days before Christmas last year, and it was still bleeding on Christmas night. Ugh. I keep a steppe stick in my truck and my medicine cabinet, just for small cuts. Hurts like all heck, but stops the bleeding.

Ken, I don't know why, but when I first started on blood thinners, I would get nose bleeds, every other day for months. Never had a nose bleed in my life, before getting on the thinners. Oak

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭

Two weeks ago I cut myself shaving while getting ready for homecoming at church . Missed going to church because I could not get it to stop , bleed like a stuck hog for almost an hour .Bloodthinners do that to you

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

I had a nosebleed about two weeks after covid. And kept getting them. My BP was high at first and then calmed down over time but the nosebleeds didn't. Twice from sneezing once in the shower and anytime I touched my nose. I had it cauterized finally just this past Wednesday. I was impressed with the tools the doctor used but not a comfortable experience. He said he used a numbing agent , maybe on himself .

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,963 ✭✭✭✭

With age, you find every tiny little bump leaves a bruise and every tiny little pointy thing leaves you bleeding. I wake up with bruises I have no idea how I got, no memory of a big bump, and workig in the yard I notice blood on tools with no idea of what tiny thing I might have been pricked by. All I take is low dose aspirin.

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭

My poor dear old Dad bit his tongue while on blood thinners... He actually had to go to the ER. The on call doctor put a stich in it😁

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

The odd thing is that it is almost impossible to find a styptic pencil anymore. No local drugstore has any. I may have to pay shipping to get one. Ridiculous. The only one I can find still made is from Clubman Pinaud in France.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭

it's kind of weird for me as I'm on blood thinners also but very rarely get bad bleeds , I take Warfarin every day , if I get a nose bleed usually just a couple paper towels will get it stopped , now bruising is a different story , those show up to darn often

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

Our local Rite Aide carries them, as well as Walgreens. That is where I get mine. What really sucks is, I have used Pepsident toothpaste sine I was a kid, and can't find it anymore. It just disappeared in the last two weeks around here.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭

"You'll wonder where the yellow went..."

Neither our Walgreens, Rite Aid, Costco, or Walmart has styptics. I've not just looked but asked. All I get are quizzical looks and "Now that you mention it..."

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    tnrangertnranger Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Ground black pepper will stop bleeding from small wounds - just pile it on. Also blood stopper powder like used for cattle dehorning, etc. is available in the vet section of many farm supply stores. I've used both with no ill effects. Just clean with a good antiseptic after a while when you're sure the bleeding is under control. I don't think either would be practical for a nosebleed, though.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

Some drugs, like Flonase, can make nose bleeds far worse; check the package insert.

Neal

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭

Ken, I know you heat primarily with wood, have you checked the humidity levels inside your house? I have similar issues with my nose/sinuses to yours and have found that I get a lot fewer and less severe nose bleeds when we keep the humidity levels up. Granted, mine aren't compounded by blood thinners, but if dry air is a root cause of the bleeds then keeping a pot of water on the wood stove might be enough to help reduce the incidence of nose bleeds.

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭

Cut back on cocaine, that helps

• Options
    Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

84, it might not be a blood thinner issue.

Dry air in house from most any kind of heat will cause the inside ole snoz to crack just like your hands.

If you think that might be an issue try some vasaline on the tip of you pinky or cotton swab and "go bugger hunting". Works like a charm.

• Options

Yeah, I've used the Vasoline trick for years and years.

My nose has been broken a few times. Last time, around 1985 I did not get it set and it came back to haunt me. (Big time.)

Had a badly deviated Septum. My nose would only pass maybe 10-20% of what it was supposed to. (So basically, 80-90% blocked.) [Talk about Claustraphobic.] It got to the point that my Cardiologist refered me to an ENT Surgeon, and I had the operation done about a year and a half ago. Much, much better. Not a very pleasant experience though. Surgery was nothing. (I was out.) Recovery, was another matter. Probably replaced bandages and gauze around 15-20 times the 1st night. (I was off the Blood Thinner, two days before the Surgery, and I dared not take any more until I could get the Bleeding under control.

The BEST Part? I had two plastic like straws about 4" long, up each nostril and sewn in place for a week, before removal. (To keep things from collapsing inside.) He showed them to me prior to the Surgery in his Office. I looked at him and said - "Your Kidding Me Right?" His reply - "Unfortunately I Am Not.) Talk about a relief getting them out. I was out of work a little over a week.

Fun stuff. 👍😁👃🤕

(But for the 1st time in apprx. 40 years, I could breathe out of my nose. Total mouth breather before that. (@Ditch-Runner, knows what I'm talking about.)

• Options
  • Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options

Was warned prior to starting the Blood Thinner, "If you get cut, or have an out of control nose bleed, get yourself to an ER." 🤕

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,397 ******

Never had any issues with nose bleeds except one time. VERY early in our marriage, wife and I were laying in bed. She decides she wants to arm wrestle. (she was a frisky lil gal) I gave her the option of using both arms to my one.

It was a mighty struggle! Just as I was about to win, she totally gives up and relaxes her arms with me still under full power. Her two hands along with mine go slamming her right in the nose!! Blood! Oh Boy! It was a gushing river!

Took a while to get it to stop and she was pretty sore for a couple days but thankfully no law enforcement was ever called upon or needed. Going on 50 years later, we sometimes laugh about this incident!

• Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Having a nose pincher to clamp on helps here. Do you get your INR check on a regular basis to be sure you're not thinned out too much?

• Options

I'll be darned if wife didn't a nosebleed today. Thinks brought on from sinus / head cold for last 2 weeks. Glad it didn't last real long.

• Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭

My wife had one the other day that lasted about a half an hour. Went online to see how to stop it and it finally quit. She checked her blood pressure and it was fine. We have no idea why it started.

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”