In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wife made me spiedini tonight,,

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,040 ******

A Sicilian meat dish. I was raised on it but haven't had it in 50 years. Wife made it for first time and it was very good.

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,674 ******

I hope you told her so.

• Options
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭

I had to google it. Looks so good I'm going to try to make some. Thanks!

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

I had to Google it as well and it does look good. I do kabobs with marinated beef and veggies, either grilled or broiled, but have never tried it with breaded meat before. Because of the breading the broiler is probably out but indirect heat on the grill or a large frying pan would work. Thanks for the idea! Bob

• Options
  • Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭

Yummy 😋 your trying to make me hungry aren't you?

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

Joe, ask Denise if she could make me some and ship it to NJ???? LOL. Now you are talking real Italian food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of these guys don't know what they are missing. 😉😋

• Options
    GTGrammyGTGrammy Member Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I baked it and it worked great.

• Options

Sicilian.

The filling is placed onto the meat and then rolled. A slice of onion and a bay leaf on either side of the roll. Skewer to hold together.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,963 ✭✭✭✭

Keep the photo, Where's the recipe?

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭

Boss, you tell Mrs. GTGrammy to fork over the recipe🍴

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds and looks yummy!

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

Looks/sounds good. 👍😁

Not anything close, but I came home with 3 (2packs) of Chicken/Veggie Kabobs last night. Reg. $12/$13 +/- pack. Dating out, got marked down, (largest) to $7.20. Bought a 3 for 1 deal. Most expensive on top, so $7.20 for all 3. (Woulda been in the neighborhood of $36 reg.) [Were due to get thrown out at 4:30pm yesterday.] Nothing wrong with them. Will put some more veggies on them and bake them today, with some Badia Perfect Seasoning on top.

Been sick, showed up and worked Sat/Sun in order to not screw my partner. Called out today. I have only had a couple bowls of soup and a glass/mug of Chicken bouillon in 3 days. Need to eat.

*I am one also requesting a recipe here. 🤔

• Options

About the recipe:

Remember, this was Denises first time making this. I have not had this or seen it made for 50 plus years, so my recall on it isn't the greatest anymore.

We went with the recipe off the internet with the bread crumbs and pine nuts. They turned out good and tasted really good. There are a few things we are going to tweak on the next batch however.

The meat has to be thin, I mean thin. Recipe called for 1/4" and that's what we had or butcher cut, and beat the heck out it with the tenderizer hammer. Still too thick. ( I remember my mom arguing with each new butcher, "No, thinner,no thinner yet". You want the steaks thin just to the point before they fall apart. Like maybe 1/8" and beat them even little thinner and to tenderize.

The filing; should be a moist paste, not dry. The recipe in our opinion calls for way too much bread crumb in the filling mix. We may not even add bread crumb to the filling mix, but sprinkle bread crumbs on the meat as we roll the meat with the mix smeared on it. We lay out and roll the meat on a plate/ tray full of bread crumbs, so as you roll the meat both sides are getting bread crumbs.

BBQ/grilling is always the best. We cooked this batch in the oven under broil. After cooking the meat should be moist and very tender, with the filling moist, paste like and very flavorful- not just a mouthful of breadcrumb.

I'm certain we have all the right ingredients from what mom and grandma use to make, but it still needs some fine tuning to what I remember.