In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cutting hardened steel

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I need to cut the bottom of a reloading die off. It hits the Dillon shell plate before the press is bottomed. I want to use it for a crimping die in the last station.

How would you go about cutting this hardened steel die?

I have 4" cut off wheels, grinders and what not but even a file will not scratch it so I have not tried anything else.

Comments

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

Bruce, I would see if there is any machine companies around you. They can cut it for you and would probably do it for nothing. I have a band saw for cutting steel, but hardened steel is a whole other thing. Let me know how you make out.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭

What Oakie said. Hardened steel is, well, HARD!

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,583 ✭✭✭✭

If it's a common caliber maybe just buy another one

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭

The best way would be to anneal it, cut it and then re-harden it, but that is time consuming and would be fairly expensive if you are not set up to do so.

Grinding, or a diamond cut off wheel would probably be your best bet, but you will need to watch how much heat you put into the metal if you want to retain the hardness.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not familiar with the Dillon setup..........but, in the past I have faced off the top of the shell holder, in order to get more of the case into the fl die.

If memory serves.......for an RCBS shell holder, I could remove about 0.015" to 0.020". Any more, and you risk leaving a case in the fl die.......and ripping the shell holder top off.

As for shortening the die.........I've spun the die while using an abrasive cutoff disk on a Dremel tool. Very slow going.......and USE EYE PROTECTION!!!!

Hope this helps.

• Options

I think I will take it to a machine shop. I would like a bevel cut into the mouth so the case goes in straight. I have diamond wheels but a hack job will accomplish nothing but the ruin of the die. Dillon uses short dies and the new seat die I got from them does not allow a crimp. As a matter of fact the die, even when ran down does not close the case mouth enough to allow chambering. There is no bullet seat depth adjustment on Dillon dies, when the bullets are seated properly the case mouth is still slightly flared preventing chambering.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,039 ******

I remember in prison they'd use toothpaste and dental floss on the steel bars,,,

• Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭

I can get that done for you if you want to send it to me. Only cost to you would be shipping.

I know a guy, "ahem", that manages a tool room.👍

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭

We don't know how much you have to take off. If not too much, I would use a grinder. If more, then a thin cut off wheel. Maybe even a dremil. Either way, quenching it often to keep it from heating up.

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Lathe, with a carbide tool bit. Or with a grinding tool in the lathe.

• Options

My buddy will take it to his shop and use the lathe they have with carbide cutters to get it where it needs to be for me. Thanks for all your input, I don't think trying it myself is going to get it perfect but a lathe will.