In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"Gun Smith's" screw drivers.

asopasop Member Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭

Are these special because they are made of a softer steel than conventional screw drivers thus having a lesser tendency to "bugger up" the screws?

Comments

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 990 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think so.

Most all gunsmith screwdriver sets have hollow-ground blade tips. They are also tougher, to resist bending. Some are so hard, that the tip will break before bending.

I have sets, such as Bonanza and Chapman........but the set most used, is the Brownell's Master Set.

Hope this helps.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭

They come in a LOT of different sizes so that you can find the perfect fit for each screw. They are a MUST if you don't wanna bugger up every slotted screw on a gun.

Look at an older gun, if you see a slotted screw that doesn't have a STRAIGHT smooth slot.....that means someone used a regular screwdriver that did not fit properly!

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

NO

They are termed gunsmith's screwdrivers and also called Hollow ground screwdrivers.

You can research Hollow ground screwdrivers to get the idea.

If you are a gun tinkerer or a carb mechanic get yourself a set.

Midway also sells some at a reasonable price.

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭

I have a set of Grace Gunsmithing Screw Drivers that I use frequently for changing grips and working on my Italian Single Actions and Black Powder Revolvers.

This $50 set is probably all I really needed though.

However, the price on that auction seems high when you can buy an 8 piece set for less:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007075186?pid=621146

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Ricci.Wright for the Brownells set. Then add the thin bit set for the narrow slots.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I have the large Wheeler set because it has some specialty bits that the Brownell's set doesn't. I use the S&W rebound spring tool quite a bit (see what I did there..😉), as well as the punches. Pretty handy, and quite a bit cheaper.

https://www.wheelertools.com/gunsmithing-tools/wrenches-and-screwdrivers/89-piece-professional-gunsmithing-screwdriver-set/562194.html#start=1