In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fans of Unintended Consequences will appreciate this

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭

That makes my teeth hurt just thinkin' about it!

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭

Saw that one. Fun video, but I wouldn't want to shoot the thing. Honestly, I'd be worried about detaching a retina or separating a shoulder with that level of recoil. Probably helps that he doesn't have normal shoulders.

Note: He also has a video with a 4 bore pump shotgun. Another good one.

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******

One inch bore? Is that even legal?

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,066 ******

Holy my cannoli. 😯😯

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,415 ******

Some guns were made to be fired remotely! 😲

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,612 ✭✭✭✭

I was going to post it and it slipped my mind when I watch ot just after he posted on youtube I enjoy his channel

Some one on here a couple weeks back was asking about shooting big rifles and large calibers this one with 600 pounds of felt recoil I would say it painful to shoot

I seem to recall a 1/2" bore was the limit many years agoasin 50 cal

Maybe he had to get a destructive devise permit from the atf ?

But thinking about it I know muskets and muzzle loaders also have large bores

I just know when I was a lot younger I would have shot it now the though ok the real possibility of all the broken and bruised body parts say no way

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******

Destructive device.--The term “destructive device” means * * * (2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary or his delegate finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; . . .” Section 5845(f)

(3) excludes from the term “destructive device” any device which is neither designed or redesigned for use as a weapon and any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device.

• Options

NFA weapons are legal to own with the stamp, is my understanding.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭

I may have to go re-read the African hunting section of that book. I'm currently feeling the draw to big bore rifles and have been looking for a 375 Ruger Hawkeye to handle in person. Ruger offers them in Left Hand versions.

https://ruger.com/products/guideGun/specSheets/47124.html

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like I have an old book on African hunting in the late 19th century which tells about a guy who used a 4 bore double rifle on elephants. Seems like his name was Sir Samuel Baker but I could be wrong; I haven't read any of my African books this century.

• Options

I don't think Henry would have considered a 375 to be a big bore.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,261 ✭✭✭✭

My buddy had a bolt action 10 gauge shotgun. One time he killed a turkey at 73 yards with that big gun.

I fired it one time and that was enough for me. Unreal recoil.

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at South African Safari websites it seems 375 is the min for dangerous game rifles. Shopping left handed DGR's on the auction side, 375 Ruger is the least expensive entry into that category at around $1600.

I'd like to go on a hunt in Africa and don't need to kill and Elephant or Lion. Lots of other things to shoot. I would rather have a 375 H&H or bigger (416 Rigby, 505 Gibbs, etc) over the 375 Ruger but it looks to be a $3k to $8k entrance fee on those caliber for Left Handers. As far as new production rifles go, it seems Blaser (about $8k) is probably the only other option for a left handed rifle.

I could go with a single shot but I'd rather have a bolt action.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,415 ******

You could also consider a large bored muzzle loader for taking big game. One shot sure, but having a back up guide if the game is a dangerous type.

I faintly remember reading about Val Forgett, the guy that started Navy Arms Co. used one of his 58 cal. "Buffalo Hunter" rifles taking water buffalo, elephants, and a lion on an African hunt.