In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser rifle ID

Grass RangeGrass Range Member Posts: 74 ✭✭

What model Mauser rifle is the one of which some were converted to 45-70?

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

Siamese I believe.

RLTW

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

Sam has it. Some were converted to 30-40 krag, and 348 winchester.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,414 ***** Forums Admin

Yep, Sam's got it. I have one that was made by a Montana gunsmith/maker in the mid-late 70s.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭

Yes it is the Siamese. The magazine box & trigger were made (stepped back) for rimmed cartridges.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
  • Options
    Gunnut358Gunnut358 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't had my hands on a Siamese Mauser .45-70 in close to 30 years. Dad had one back then, and I think some of the loads were nuclear.

One day were were up in the woods gopher hunting. I had my 10/22 loaded with Stingers, he had a .22-250, and the Mauser in the rack in the back window. We come around a corner, and there was probably the biggest gopher I've ever seen, sitting on a old rotten stump. We stop around 50 yards away, and it's sitting there cussin' up a storm at us.

Dad passes over the 250, and grabs the Mauser. He clicks a 500gr round in the magazine, closes the bolt, and says "watch this". I was expecting gopher to be spread all over the hillside. No scope, just a set of standard open sights. It was actually quite accurate at 100.

He lines up on the gopher and lights it off, nearly blowing the bug shield off the front of the hood. It hit a bit low.

It basically blew the stump in half. Not a big stump, but it was so old and rotten that a big puff of reddish brown dust kicked up out of it when the bullet hit.

The gopher went about 10 feet vertical, landed, and.....ran off. I've wanted a Siamese Mauser of my own ever since.🤣