In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How many of you remember Euell Gibbons? How many of you bought 1 or more of his books?

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭✭

How many of you tried some of his wild plant ideas??

I remember I tried multiple things on his wild plant menu. The only one I remember trying was cattails. I thought them cattails were mighty bland with very little flavor but I'ma guessin' if I hadn't eaten in several days I would have thought them there cattails were mighty fine eatin'!!!😁

Comments

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,042 ✭✭✭✭

Grape Nuts commercials

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Healthy eating ???, not sure about that, he ate plants, grass, nuts, tree bark, etc. and died from a heart attack at the age of 64. I eat meat cooked in grease or butter, all kinds and have passed him in age by several years and the Doctor says I'm in great shape for my age 😊. I avoid books that have a gimmick behind them.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Thant brings up he is some one i had almost forgot about

As a kid I remember the grape nuts commercials I think he was in?

And as stated having a heart attack at that time i remember every one saying i guess eating all that natural stuff may not so great but we know now a lot of ihaving a heart attack f is family gene's passed down

I also remember kids saying ever eat a pine tree their good you know

Willl add that reminds me of marlin Perkins another show from days gone by

Always spme thing like "While I am here safe on the boat " Jim is in the dark in the water fighting with with a alligator "look out Jim "

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,066 ******

I remember him but never got into his fad

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭

remember, no books. mine were by Bradford Angier. The end is near! And has been for decades.

• Options

Euell was all about eating "naturally". I remember hearing about his death on the TV news back when I still watched TV.

The guy reading the story almost started laughing when he said "He died of natural causes!"😁

• Options
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭✭

I thought Euell should try pine cones for toilet paper or at least suggest such to the city folks.

I was a teenager in the woods often huntin/fishin and seen him talking about eating cat tails and other things, but I never tried such, I just smiled at his suggestions, I was eating fried squirrels with Arkansas gravy and homemade flour biscuits, frog legs, venison, fried fish.

Never needed the tree bark and knew better than to try his pine cone recipe's.

• Options
    DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Isn't he the one that would eat poison ivy leaves to develop an immunity to it?

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭✭

Probably so:

I know of a couple of deer hunters that wiped with it but not to develop an immunity.

They now can ID the Poison Ivy and Oak from 100 yards away.

I suspect them two guys would not trust some of Euell's suggestions.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,612 ✭✭✭✭

I have become a bit tolerable and more knolagable ro poison ivy but when younger it would devastate me .

now I also learned to avoid and wash any contact area with in 10 minutes to just about be void of it For many years thank goodness

Any way when I was about ten or twelve my dad suggested eating poison ivy leaves start with just a tiny piece then work up to large piece bigger than a thumb

said he remembered the old folk saying to build imuinty to eat it

He never did but it never effected him Lucky guy

and no even as a kiid i had more than my share of head to toe coverage many times and it was miserable big time

I knew eating it could not be a good thing so I never gave the old folk remedy a try

Sounds a bit reasonable in theory but i am not willing to try

even inhaling the smoke if you burn it can be bad news

• Options
    Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Didn't he choke to death on saw dust?🤔

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

Never heard of the chap.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

For real ??? wow

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Died from an aortic aneurysm from complications of Marfans syndrome Not nearly as poetic as choking on natural sawdust.

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭

Thought the termites got Euell.

And there was J.I. Rodale, who was "Mr. Organic". In 1971, Rodale was a guest on a taping of The Dick Cavett Show in New York During his interview, Rodale made boastful claims about his health, including, "I'm in such good health that I fell down a long flight of stairs yesterday and I laughed all the way," He died before a live audience during the taping- Massive heart attack.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,413 ******

Memories of him doing those Post Grape Nuts commercials saying "they remind me of wild hickory nuts".

That cereal reminded me of trying to eat the gravel in the bottom of my fish aquarium!!

• Options
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭

I remember him, but I always thought he was just another liberal crackpot, and never paid much attention to him.

Joe

• Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭

I knew a guy who bought one of his books and then ate it! He died at the ripe old age of 104.

🤪

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options

Brookwood and Joe, Grape Nuts are good.......................IF................you pour milk on them, let them set until soft, than put a whole bunch of honey on them.

Eating Grape Nuts straight from the box could easily result in a trip to the dentist with a broken tooth.