In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Swiss Mauser style Bolt-action hunting rifles (1960's) Not straight pull

trawlertrawler Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

The other day I saw a Mauser style bolt action commercial sporter rifle made by Hammerli in Switzerland. It is a beautiful gun in 7x64 Brenneke caliber, with express sights, claw scope mounts and a German Hensoldt scope. The triggers are double set and the front sling swivel is on the barrel. Beautiful wood too.

This is the only Mauser style Swiss sporting rifle that I have ever seen, or even heard about. There seems to be no information available on the internet on these rifles. Do any of you own one, or have you seen one, or do you have any information on them that you are willing to share?

Yes, I am buying this rifle as it is so unique and possibly rare as well. Plus, I like the 7x64 caliber and already have another rifle in this caliber, ammo, and dies for reloading.

Thanks for any information. Best regards from Gustavus, Alaska.

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭

Like this? Nice looking piece! Should make a great hunting rifle. The 7X64 is an excellent round for most N.American game. I think I am a little jealous. Bob

• Options
    trawlertrawler Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Yes, that's the one I'm buying.

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭

Good looking rifle. It appears to be built on a FN action. The floor plate button and the wing-to-the-left safety were trademarks of the older FN actions. A lot of rifle makers, including Husqvarna, used those actions back in the day. As for Hammerli, best known for their target pistols and rifles, I've not seen a rifle similar to yours.

My 7x64 rifle is a Ruger 77 that I bought in 2014 and reloaded and shot it some before moving on to other projects. I don't remember where I got loading data, probably used .280. Cases were Hornady. Velocities per my Oehler chronograph were as expected, but I was disappointed in the accuracy; best 5-shot groups were in the 2 1/2" range. I found a box of Remington factory 175 gr. loads and they shot 4 1/2" groups. I've heard the quality of those older Ruger barrels was "iffy", so maybe that's the reason. I don't suppose it helped, either, that a previous owner didn't like open sights and knocked that front sight off the barrel!

I'm sure I speak for others here when I ask you to let us know when you get your rifle "up & running", how it shoots.