In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

R.I.P. Major Brian Shul....."Sled Driver"

62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2023 in General Discussion

SR71..."Habu" pilot. Vietnam Veteran.

Heart attack at age 75.

Also a noted speaker, author, and photographer.

His "Ground Speed Check" speech/story is legendary....and epic!!! 👍

Once again......America is diminished. 😔

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,992 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, what an amazing life. RIP Sir

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭

I never had the honor to meet Shul, but I did meet the only man (Guinness Book record) to have flown both the SR-71 and the Wright Flyer. He flew the Flyer at a FAC reunion at the Air Force Museum in Ohio, where they have a flyable replica of the Wright machine.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

I can't even fathom, the speed of that Blackbird. I saw one at the Huntsville, Alabama Space Museum. It will leave you in awe. Those pilots were definitely crazy and brave. You guys that flew military planes, sure had nerves of steel and I tip my hat to all of you. You guys are true American hero's. Oakie

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭

Oakie, I knew plenty of WWII Air Force vets because of my dad being a B-24 crew member. I knew both bomber pilots/crew and the crazy fighter pilots. Is being a little crazy around the edges mandatory for fighter pilots???😁

Not one of them considered themselves American heroes. Their attitude was there was a job to do and they did it.

In todays "look at me" world they were even more impressive by their lack of that type of attitude!

Growing up around these men, having WWII vets as my HS teachers gave me an education about life todays high schoolers don't have a clue about. I will concede that todays high schoolers know more a "PRONOUNS" than I ever knew.🤢

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen the Wright Flyer several times flying around Dayton. It usually winds up with a traffic jam as people stop to watch it..

Joe

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭

Dreher, I offer myself as evidence of your theory. I not only qualified as a fighter pilot, but a FAC. In fact, you had to be a fighter pilot to be a FAC. That's crazy squared, in some people's minds.

I flew jets and have been supersonic. You don't feel speed in a plane. 1,000 mph in a fighter is no different than 400 in an airliner.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,992 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

I have a friend who was a naval aviator (carrier based fighter pilot) and now he captains a triple seven for a commercial airline company. If you didn’t know him you would never know what he did/does. He is quite private and extremely humble about being a pilot

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******

RIP to a man that should be remembered with honor for a very long time as a part of our modern history!

Speaking as a former ground crew member for USAF fighter pilots. In my day, the pilots were the Rock Stars, the ground guys were the Roadies, the supporting WAF's were the Groupies, and all the rest were the Fans. 😁

Pretty sure times have changed a lot since then.

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭

RIP

thank you for your service