In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger 10/22 Optic Options

DPWLHR01DPWLHR01 Member Posts: 18

Hello World,

I've had a Ruger 10/22 since I was but a boy, always using the iron sights. I'd like to install a decent scope but a bit overwhelmed by all the options. Anyone have suggestions?

Comments

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

Price and what are you going to use it for. A good reasonable price 3x9x40 would be a Bushnell Banner imo,

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Grasshopper already asked the important question about what you are using it for. Personally, for a .22 I like to use a scope that is parallax adjusted for .22 distances. Something like the Vortex 2-7x32 Crossfire II rimfire scope. If you need more magnification, get a scope with an adjustable objective so you can correct for rimfire distances. The last scope I mounted on a .22 is a no longer available 4-12x44 with an adjustable objective. This gun is primarily used at the bench, and I would have gone smaller if it's primary use was going to be hunting. Bob

Edit to add: Which ever scope you pick, spend a couple of extra bucks and replace the Ruger base with a better one and get a decent set of rings. This will provide more adjustment for eye relief and be strong and secure.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

As Bob mentioned, get a better base and a good set of rings. I would go with a Leupold base and set of rings, and you can't beat their Freedom Rimfire scopes.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=leupold%20freedom%20rimfire&Sort=13

• DPWLHR01DPWLHR01 Member Posts: 18

Thank you Grasshopper and BobJudy. I'll be using it for both some plinking and small game/varmint hunting. I'll investigate your recommendations.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭

Don't automatically rule out a decent red-dot sight, either. At plinking/small game ranges, they're just about perfect.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭

I did a total rebuild of a 10/22 around 25 years ago. I mounted a 6X Leupold on it. With the right ammo I can put 10 rounds into a dime at 25 yards. (Or at least I could 20 years ago!) With the wrong ammo it looks like I'm patterning a shotgun.

Point being, when you decide on your scope, buy at least 6, preferably 8 or more different brands of 22 ammo. At that point do a SERIOUS bench rest session. The only thing I will guarantee you is several brands of ammo will surprise you. Both good and bad.

I still remember Remington Goldens were number one, a jagged one hole group and was also pretty much the cheapest ammo I tried. Ely target was a VERY close second but WAY more expensive. Federal target was way down the list. Winchester Wild Cats was the ammo that looked like a shotgun pattern.

I remember how much fun I had that day learning what shot in my 10/22 and what didn't. I envy the fun you are going to have!!

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭

Don't forget to give us a range report!!

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of Crossfire II 2-7x32 rimfire scopes. These are good and likely all the optic most folks ever need. They're not heavy and don't unbalance the rifle, provide adequate magnification for 22 ranges, and have exceptional clarity.

I won't enter the "You need 40X magnification to shoot 100 yards argument".

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

Leupold Freedom Rimfire 2-7x33 and good rings. Don't scrimp!

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

I built a ruger 10/22 for target shooting and hunting. I hunt squirrels , groundhogs, and yote with this gun. It has a bipod, which isn't shown. I put a Simmons 3x9 aetec scope on it. I love the clarity of the scope. Crystal clear. I had a Eotec red dot scope on it, but I have trouble seeing red. If you decide to go with a electronic scope, try to buy one with a green dot or crosshairs. Green shows up better in the daylight, than red. Oakie

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭

Oakie, that looks real good

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

I lean towards Vortex or Leopold. I have quite a few different ones including red dots, and it personal preference what works best for you.

• patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

My opinion, 4X is good enough for 22 rimfire.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭

Agree. I have a LONG discontinued Burris Mini 4X with AO rimfire scope on my Rem 582 bolt gun. It's a jewel. Have no problem seeing - or hitting - ground squirrels at 100 yards. If you can find one, snap it up.

I had the receiver D&T for better bases and rings, too.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • tnrangertnranger Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

A dissenting opinion about scopes on a 10/22... A 10/22 is such a handy thing in the woods - until you scope it. I had one with a scope on it for several years, then switched to an aperture sight with some optional aperture sizes for switching between range and field. I found I had my handy little rifle back, and could still pop a squirrel in the head or have fun on the range. I reckon a red dot would be handy, too, but haven't tried one. Most importantly, swap out that horrendous factory trigger if you haven't already.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******

Agree. For .22 I have used a Bushnell on several rifles with great results on each. And they don't bust the bank. Good luck.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

" A 10/22 is such a handy thing in the woods - until you scope it."

IF you scope it with some obnoxiously large/heavy optic that it becomes not so handy.

I have a 'range use only' 10-22 with a NIKON 3-9x40 rimfire scope mounted.  Compared to the others with compact, light weight scopes, it's unhandy and poorly balanced but it does enable hitting very small targets at distance.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
  • trawlertrawler Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

My favorite scope set-up for Ruger 10-22's is a 3/4-inch tube Redfield or Browning (made by Redfield) Model 4x22 in either Weaver or Redfield 3/4-inch rings. Very clear, very small, light, and compact with parallex set for 22 ranges. I also use it on a Browning 22 auto rifle, and a Chipmunk 22.

Another scope I use on 22 rifles is a Weaver J-4 with a 3/4-inch tube.

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭✭

In '72 I put a Weaver K-3 on mine.......it is still there.

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭✭

I put one of them on my 77 .308 in '69 and it has never failed me. Quite a few deer, many coyotes and one bob cat regretted my choice.