In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How many here shop at Harbor Freight?

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I generally stay away from their stuff because I've always felt that you could buy better quality on certain items for a few bucks more. However, I need a better way to clean the deck of my mower, and this looks like something that would make things quite a bit easier.

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb-atvlawn-mower-lift-61523.html

Comments

• Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭

looks like it would be ok just check weight limits

I try to buy American-made but it is hard to sometimes

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭

I buy tons of stuff from HF, yeah it's Chinese junk but I've never had anything I bought there fail (just lucky I guess) and besides you can buy two or three of the same items for the same price of one similar item elsewhere .

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭✭

Neighbor has one it works for cleaning.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭

I have one similar to this. It's ok for my garden tractor. However, I had to extend the bar to fit the z-turn tires.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭

Shy away from hand tools except for light duty weekend stuff, and any electric motor/battery-powered stuff. Their generators and pneumatic stuff are good, I hear.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    CaneyRiverDogCaneyRiverDog Member Posts: 145 ✭✭

I have bought their Icon model torque sockets... so far so good.

I have many of their 30cal ammo cans and magnesium firestarters

also have many of their magnet bars to hang tools on

• Options

Good News: They have a 25% off coupon this weekend.

Bad News: It doesn't work for jacks.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,665 ******

Does it work for Jim's?

(Sorry, AL. I couldn't help myself. )

• Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭✭

What ? You’re supposed to clean the decks?

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    edited May 2023

jim, That would be a capital J = Jacks

Kinda like the old joke about not using punctuation in the sentence, "He helped his uncle a horse."

Oops,,, Bam

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Have a Motorcycle/ATV/UTV Jack. Not sure where it came from. (If I remember, I'll post it.)

Might very well be the only Harbor Freight item I have purchased.

It comes in Very handy. 👍

• Options

I just realized that my tires are 2" wider than what it says it extends to. What did you do to make it work, just add a wider piece of square tubing for the wheel chocks?

• Options
    paul b looneypaul b looney Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

Back in the day, I would buy a paint sprayer,use if for a job full of duct. Clean it put it up until the next paint job came. Use it again until it couldn't be abused anymore and go buy another. Probably got 2-3 years if I was lucky. Mostly me not cleaning thoroughly was the reason they died.

• Options

Harbor Freight is good for what it is. I have a Bauer cordless driver that's been pretty good for small jobs. The Bauer cordless grinder is about useless.

For stuff like zip ties, hooks, hangers, etc. HF is handy and cheap.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Snap On tool chest and a US General tool chest from Harbor Freight.The only difference I can tell is the Snap On cost about the same as my Nissan pick up and the Harbor Freight chest cost about what a set of tires cost for the pick up. Both work fine and keep tools organized and secure.

• Options

@toad67 Mine is constructed differently so my solution wouldn't work for this. Their 39" is center to center means their square cross bar might already be 48". You'd have to go measure one. Remember that the weight capacity would probably be reduced if you use a longer bar.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭

jimdeere has it right. You're not buying professional items here and don't expect such. I read that their little single cylinder 4 cycle Predator engines a good.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

I buy a ton of stuff from HF. My Chicago grinder, lasted ten years so far, My Dewalt lasted three. I was there yesterday and bout some stuff. Like Rocky said, stay away from the cheap hand tools. I want a lift too, but I'm gonna spend the money and buy one that will handle 1,000+ lbs, for my motorcycles and riding mower.

Remember, Chicago Electric, has been around for over 100 years. I also have there parts cleaner and welder. Both have lasted over eight years so far, and are going strong.

• Options

After figuring out that my mower is to wide to work, thanks to toolman, it looks like I will need to go this way.

Found one at TSC, but it wouldn't work with a middle scalp wheel on the deck. This one should do the trick, problem is that my local HF doesn't have one in stock....Hmmm...

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Go big or stay at home.

• Options

It probably would Steve, but it also would be nice to be able to remove the 3 blades for sharpening/maintenance, w/o playing Stevie Wonder if you know what I mean...

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭

Back in the day.....Harbor Freight was about the only thing I could afford. 🙁

Times change though.

I'm not sure about now......but all HF hand tools had a lifetime warranty.

Besides.......after getting popcorn(with double butter) and a large Dr Pepper at the Gibson's store next door........it was relaxing to browse Harbor Freight for an hour, while combing through their many ad flyers. 😁

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

I have one works great for blade change use the 25 coupon

• Options
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭

Cleaning a mower deck? Novel idea, I guess.

Mower lift? Equally novel idea, I guess.

If i feel a desperate need to 'lift a mower', I have a couple of choices: 50 horsepower or 150 horsepower. Either will not only lift the deck but lift the entire mower and leave it hanging like a sack of taters.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭

I had a zero turn slip off a Harbor Freight mower lift. I was not under it when it happened,but from then on I used a ratchet strap to secure the front of the mower to the jack.No more problems.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

I use a small chain hoist over a good size tree limb to lift mine for cleaning and blade replacement, simple, easy and fast 😊

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve got a plank that’s 12 inches wide and 3 inches thick that I put in front of our John Deere mower, then I just use a floor Jack on the cross over frame. Raises the front up 12 inches, enough to clean under the deck with a deck cleaning tool I have. To change the blades I just drop the deck and pull it out from under the tractor.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

I have a knee wall on one side of my driveway about waist high, I just lay the ramps on the little wall and drive the mower up till I can get under it with a kreeper, you might have to turn the spindle to get to a bolt or two or to get a better angle but it is simple and I allready have the ramps, guess you could use the tailgate of your truck if you don't have a short wall. I do mine 3-4 times a year, take em off and sharpen and clean the deck.......

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

My Motorcycle/ATV/UTV Jack, came with a set of ratcheting cam straps to secure whatever is on top.

• Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭

I have a bench grinder that I purchased at Harbor Freight over 30 years ago, and it still works great.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,364 ******

We didn't even have a Harbor Freight near here up until just about 5 or so years ago. I discovered the place some 150 miles away probably 15 years back when I was traveling to a gun show with a buddy. It is nice to have the convenience and choices without having to drive so far!

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭

Big oak limb and a 1 ton chain hoist does it for me. I use 2 jack stands to feel safer while under the deck changing blades.

• Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭

When i was doing alot of hauling an removal. I used there hand trucks an carts. They held up very well. If they broke took them back an got another. if warranty was up just bought another. Stuff was cheaper than the big boys. Used there saw-z-alls alot on demo work if the burned up it was a cheap way to go. There hand tools are just that cheap.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******

I do not. Hope this helps.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options