In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Computer Question

hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2023 in General Discussion

Old Dell Vista laptop Died.

Have been using an old program, that won't run on a Windows 10 system

Dragged out a Xp Mini laptop, we have not used for years trhat may work with the inventory program, but need access to internet briefly.

Can connect to the wireless router but, because it only has the discontinued Internet Explorer loaded, I can't get on the web,

Ideas??

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭

How old is the machine? I've got Internet Explorer on the laptop I'm using now and it still works fine and I'm running Window 7. This thing was built in 2011. Might need to do something in the settings of IE to get it to connect.

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭✭

XP was released in 2001. Go into settings see if wireless connect is enabled.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

I would download an executable for a different browser that you can install on the old machine. Store it on a USB flash drive and install that to browse the web for what you need. Version 52.9.0esr was the last supported release for Windows XP and Windows Vista. No further security updates will be provided for those systems. You can download it here:

Grab the link named firefox-52.9.0esr.win32.sdk.zip

Extract that to the computer you use to download and then copy the .exe file to your old PC running XP.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭

Either of those machine would probably run like a scalded cat if you got somebody to load Linux on it for you. If those are 32-bit machines, your choices will be limited, however. The better ones I've tried are Linux Mint Debian (LMDE) for 32-bit, or MX for 32, AntiX, or a very lightweight one called Sparky.

A reasonably adept computer user can install any Linux OS, but if it is beyond your courage level, just take your box to a neighborhood computer store. Not a big box like Best Buy.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options

Seems the Explorer was corrupted somewhere. Finally found an old disk that had a Firefox on it. Loaded it, and then updated. Now going great. Forgot how great this 11 " Lattop was, Now I can carry around and up date inventory around the shop.

Don't know if Linux will run my old inventory program, my sister set up for my years ago ( I'm comfortable with the program

Yes Know there are no more updates on the machine.

Thanks all.

• Options
    edited June 2023

I'm happy for you.

You might be able to run it using WINE with Linux. It's a "translator" program that lets Linux understand Windows programs. You can actually try Linux running it from a USB stick without installing it. That would let you know.

But as long as you're up and running, you're okay. Except that you have virtually no malware protection running unsupported Windows.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭

"Except that you have virtually no malware protection running unsupported Windows."

Uhhh... What's the issue?

• Options

Well, it is very much like going on vacation and leaving your front door wide open.

• Options

As far as Malware. I only had to get online briefly to download a few programs. Then shutting off the wireless access.

• Options

Very wise.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,081 ******

Glad you got it. My ITs are usually one of the grandkids.