In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1948 colt 38super

tobyfloyd61tobyfloyd61 Member Posts: 431 ✭✭✭
edited July 2023 in Ask the Experts

Fellow wanting to sell me this colt 38super says it was made 1948 and has box and paper work for 1900 what y’all think the comment I left below is what he sent me about it here are some more pics he sent of box and gun am I wrong or does one look Matt finish and one in box looks shiny blue added another pic

Comments

• Options

Want to sale a 1948 COLT Super 38. This pistol is text book correct and original in every way including the finish, barrel and magazine. Considered a “FAT” barrel variation due to the fact that Colts used up old stock of WW2 military contract 45 auto blanks to mill the barrels for these supers. This also allowed them to used stock USGI 45 acp barrel bushings with these pistols. The Fat barrel was only in production from approximately 1946 thru the early 1950’s. This is a complete package to include high condtion box, bore brush and the very hard to find original instruction sheet dated to April of 1948 hence the form number AL 4/48 at the bottom. Despite some edge wear, this pistol is in very high condition. If you note the barrel condtion, the locking lugs and hood show almost no wear at all. The grips are original and also surplus WW2 military items used by Colts to complete commercial pistols thru 1949. This is what he sent me about pistol

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

beautiful gun, Dom is correct 1948, I would counter with 1,500 but if pressed I would go for it, you just don't see many 1911's from back then in such nice condition with great box and some paperwork, and the caliber is a big plus to me.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭

I AM not an expert but if that is correct, buy it. I was hoping someone who is would chime in. Tank tells you the date is correct so---it might be righteous .

• Options
    edited June 2023

Yea I’d like to know if this is correct about the barrel and the bushing and he is firm on price I’ve tryed him

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

I like Colt 38 Super. I have a couple but not like the one of your interest. Were it offered to me and I had the opportunity to have it in my hands and examine it - I would have gone to the bank - got the cash - given it to the owner - and said - MINE - MINE - Many Thanks. Here is one on the GunBroker auction side - far less 'providence' than the one of your interest - several bids - over $2K - and several days still to go.

Best Regards - AQH

This one sold for $2925.00

• Options

Thanks yes I have looked on auction side to compare to

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭

Inquiring minds want to know if you purchased it. If not - please ask the seller to put it up on the GunBroker.com auction side. It will definitely sell there.

Best Regards - AQH

• Options

well this turned out to be a scam when I told the guy I’d make the 4 hour drive to pick it up he started back peddling and only wanted to ship it after I made payment I knew it was to good to be true

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
This discussion has been closed.