In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scratching my head ?

been on GB now close to 20 years ,done my share of buying and selling coming here to share a recent experience an perhaps get some feedback.

Been looking for some rounds of 45-60 wcf for a Winchester 1876 and when I finally located a seller with a box for sale here made an offer for 20 rounds which was accepted and saw the screen message saying as much.

Now I can't find any records of the offers or the transaction....a real head scratcher.

Comments

• yonsonyonson Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Good friend of mine has a rig like yours and makes his own ammo. When I told him I didn't know exactly what that caliber was, he said it's a 45-70 with one testicle missing.....

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Use a cut-down 45-70 case, a round ball and a modest charge of black powder for a plinking load. This does not require any special loading tools. Good luck.

• Surfvivor Surfvivor Member Posts: 2

Appreciate comments....yonson cracked me up lol

Bought some cut down 45-70 brass ,planning to do some reloading ( have done plenty shotgun shells) .....again excuse the stupid question but do I need to get a reloading tool from Lyman , or other to reload ?

which bullet number should I use.

Appreciate your suggestions.

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭

If you have the dies - some brass is available on the GunBroker auction side:

Best Regards - AQH

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/990204306

• yonsonyonson Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

My friend worked up a load using 325 gr. flat point cast bullet with 26.0 gr. Accurate 5744, OAL 2.290. @1284 fps. Rifle is a Chaparral 1876.

edited June 2023

"surfvivor" - more specifically to your post ---- click on "Shop" at the top this forum header. Then click on "Welcome (your name)" -- then click on "Buying" -- then on the right side click on "Offers Made" -- that should bring up the information you are looking for.

Best Regards - AQH

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

If you plan to shoot 80 or more rounds a year then reloading dies makes sense to use -timewise. If only two boxes or so then something like a Lee Loader is much less expensive. I suggest you find some old Lyman reloading manuals from the 1950's - 60's. they have some good black powder data in them.

"surfvivor" - just in case - there is one listing on the auction side for some 45-60 ammunition - Best Regards - AQH

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/991021241

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭✭

Never, ever partially fill a case with black powder. If you use a round ball (with a small amount of black powder) push the ball all the way down into case until it touches the powder. Even the .45-55-405 carbine load used a filler plug to take up the extra space in the 45-70 case. I recommend #5744 in place of black. Much cleaner and you use less, making it cheaper. I like Unique in my large caliber old timers.