In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Look out world......I'm getting a treadmill! I'm riding the wave of "pre-ownership" expectations

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,732 ✭✭✭✭

I completely understand that in most cases this is a future laundry rack......and I hope to avoid this, but in the meantime I'm planning on walking on this thing every morning before work. I don't expect to run marathons or be "runway ready" by buying this thing.

I do want to have a little more energy and sleep better. It would be nice to lose a few pounds.

Working on a computer all day is horrible for your health. I feel like I've been "working" all day....but I've been in a chair for hours. I'm never mobile enough to be tired at the end of the day....other than mentally exhausted.

Living in the country there are no gyms nearby....the roads are dangerous to walk on....and the nearby park is eat up with locals....along with being 1000 degrees already here....this seems like a good option.

We went to a little festival and I thought we had walked 20 miles before we went back to the car.....but it was only 2200 steps acording to my phone. This is pitiful.

I got some monster thing that is way bigger than I need it to be, but the warranty was attractive. The deck folds upwards so it doesn't HAVE to take up a lot of room....but where I want it to be this is not going to be helpful. I'm putting it right next to my bed....no getting away from it or avoiding it in another room. (That is the thought anyway.)

They deliver this thing some after this week.....wish me luck!

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,309 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

Great idea. Walking is great exercise and I do lots of it.

You can start small, 2200 steps sounds good. If you just do it 3 days a week, in a few weeks you can increase. Then in a few weeks increase again.

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

Have owned and worn out about a half-dozen treadmills as my foul-weather running platform. My tips:

1. Either have it where you can watch TV, or use a tablet to watch something. Otherwise, time DRAGS.
    2. Throw a towel over the treadmill display. Otherwise, you’ll constantly be watching it, and time will DRAG.

Overall, I have enjoyed mine. Only two major mishaps. Once I hopped off to take a phone call and, without thinking, stepped back onto the running belt. Just like all the internet bloopers…..face plant and skittered off onto the floor in a pile. Second mishap wasn’t my fault though. After many many miles, the board under the belt gave out and snapped while I was in full run mode. Back in the floor I went.

In any case…. Good luck!

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

You are not allowed to hold onto the rails.

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck!!!!

Treadmills are great if you commit. You can do it.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,145 ******

Good for you, congrats, good luck.

Does it have a clamp on stack tray??

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,154 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck and enjoy yourself on it

• Options

No clamp on snack tray....but it does have a safety switch you clamp to yourself so it automatically shuts down if you fall. After Frogdog's tales I'm going to make sure to use it! I do have plans for it to be facing the TV in the room. I didn't think about watching the display and I will toss a towel across that thing for sure.

One odd thing that has turned into an issue.....I haven't worn tennis shoes or any kind of shoes that aren't pretty much sandals in quite some time. I plan to go pick some up tomorrow and hopefully find something that works. I tried wearing some older Nikes that I've had forever and they actually hurt the back of my feet and almost caused blisters at the top of the back of my foot. These dang Birkenstock sandals have become a habit. It has to be minus something outside for me to think about wearing something different. I've actually worn socks with them.....MORTIFYING my kids in the process.....a win/win in my opinion.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

You don't need shoes on your private treadmill.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭

In six months you will be cussing it for always being in the way.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,012 ✭✭✭✭

Kasey, get one you can increse the incline. More incline builds strength and burns more calories.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭✭

Kasey, since your "hobby" became a full time business with several employees.....

be careful that you don't install a PC / laptop tray so you can work, while you walk.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭

Your 1st sentence, beat me to the punch. 🤔

"Congratulations on the new Laundry Drying Rack." 😉😂🤣

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,716 ✭✭✭✭

best of luck to your

commitment is a key word

many years ago my wife got one . the only exercise was when I put it together

it was committed to a out building shed not long after then to the scrap yard later on

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,481 ******

Our treadmill is in like new condition and only has a few miles on it! I was thinking about training my dogs to run on it.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭

Before I retired my job had me walking 5 to 6 miles a day, I done this for 42 years. After I retired it just didn’t feel right if I didn’t walk at least a mile a day. In the summer time no problem getting out walking, but in the winter I use it. It’s good exercise. Only complaint is, it’s more of a forced walk, myself when I’m out walking I like to stop and look at things, where the treadmill will just keep on trucken if you stop. Definitely use the safety key if there is a wall behind you.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

I walk 2 miles a day, in the basement. I do it there as there are no excuses not to. No bugs, no traffic, no snow, sleet, or ice, and it's never too hot or too cold. I started walking when I ballooned up to 213 lbs. After about 8 weeks of doing that and eating a much better diet, I got back down to 150 lbs.

My daughter's MIL was also overweight. When she saw me after I had lost the weight, she asked me what I took to lose the weight. When I told her "Diet and exercise" she just said "OH" and walked away. She died several years ago without doing anything to help herself.

Joe

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

Kasey I'm proud of you. You will feel better. I understand stand about walking in the country... We have that problem. Thank goodness I can walk in town, the collie's must walk. Collie number 3 is on the way of needing to walk. Make sure you get some fresh air in the middle of the busy.

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭

P.S The last time I saw our friend Dr. Bob's (retired vet) treadmill it was a lamp stand 😂

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options

Did I read that right? You lost 63 pounds in 8 weeks??? That's amazing!

I'm working on getting my weight down a bit and also lowering the triglycerides and cholesterol levels.

I miss my usual 3 eggs and 4 slices of bacon for breakfast. Mush sucks.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭

See you in Boston on September 11th.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

I just completed my walk. The Beagle and I go 2/3 mile down the steep driveway to the road, and then another half mile to the bridge of the French Broad River. That walk back up the steep driveway is brutal! 2 1/2 miles total, we do it 3 times a week. Even the Beagle gets tired.

From the blue "water drop" in the middle, down to Bear Ck Church, and then down to the Little Pine Bridge.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,700 ✭✭✭✭

Start slow, work your way up over time. I walk about 4 miles everyday, once it becomes part of your routine, it makes a real difference in all aspects of your life...... A television or some great tunes makes the time fly by....

• Options
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭

Allen ,Been thru your area years ago on a solo motorcycle camping trip . Pretty countryside . I would retire up there if I was able. Love the hills aint living at the beach

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    edited June 2023

I got the call today....they will deliver it Tuesday.

Its a Spirit XT285...I went with this one because it has a fantastic warranty and it handles heavier weights. Larry said he is not planning on using it, but he can if he wants to.

I wish we could walk on our roads.....there are a lot of pretty spots here and there. The death curves and bad drivers in this area make it impossible. There are a lot of spots where there are no sides to the roads....just weeds and deep ditches.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭

Hope you kept the box to put it in. Hell, I have one with about 10 miles on it and a "rowing machine" that someone said that's the last and best and it has about a 3 acre pond worth of rowing on it. I would have gave you those two along with handweights that are new, probably gave you a 50 spot to take them. About 1500 in them. Worth---- nothing.

• Options

I walk the roads but it is not very safe. Plus, can't do it in the rain.

There are a lot of advantages to your machine.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭

They make wonderful clothes racks !

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭

a walk in the country is called hunting, .............. you could bring a roadkill home for dinner!