In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Newbie selling question

jaus00jaus00 Member Posts: 3

I've read the articles on selling and shipping but I haven't found the answer to this question....

As I understand once a gun sells the buyer must fax/mail the address of an FFL for you to ship to. But how does that FFL know why he is receiving this shipment or what buyer it is associated with? And, even if you include that information, how do you know if the FFL will even accept it to hold?

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,414 ***** Forums Admin
    edited June 2023

You should contact the potential receiving FFL prior to bidding, or at least prior to sending payment if you have already won an auction, to let them know they will be receiving your firearm.

BTW, welcome to the forums. Feel free to jump in on General Discussion, and the other forums.

• Options

Thanks, but I'm looking at this from the point of view of a seller who is getting ready to ship a firearm. I guess I can ask the buyer to make arrangements with an FFL to receive a specific firearm and then wait until I get the buyers confirmation that the FFL is prepared to receive. Is that how it's usually done?

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,414 ***** Forums Admin

Maybe some of the real sellers will chime in on this. I have sold a couple things on GB, but nothing that required an FFL. As far as I can tell, you as a seller receive payment, and FFL information from buyer after the auction. Then you ship item to the FFL buyer wants it shipped to. Then you can wash your hands of it. It is up to the buyer to give a heads up to the receiving FFL to let him know he has incoming.

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******

The dealers with good sense have a copy of the FFL uploaded to Gunbroker. After the auction, the seller can retrieve it from the order page. That is the best way.

In most cases, there is an established relationship between buyer and transfer FFL. Rarely, a FFL will contact me and ask me for buyer information. Usually, he knows the buyer and knows the gun is coming. Besides, I give the buyer tracking so he knows when it arrives.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******

" It is up to the buyer to give a heads up to the receiving FFL to let him know he has incoming."............this, if it makes you more comfortable you can also contact the receiving ffl for conformation. Just be sure to state in your auction that it will be coming from a non-ffl shipper.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭

As above but I have on occasion the buyer had the wrong FFL info uploaded so I double check via phone or email that that is the correct FFL and then send the item summary along with proper ID or FFL so all bases are covered.

• Options

Thanks, good advice. Sounds like the key is good seller-buyer communication.

• Options
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I email an invoice as soon as an item sells. If you go to "Sold Orders" you can see if the buyer has an FFL choice listed and if you can download a copy. ALWAYS state in the invoice the name of the FFL if the buyer has chosen one and that that is where you intend to ship the item. Some buyers have changed FFL since they set up their account. Yes, COMMUCATE.