In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Top Water bass fishing.............

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2023 in The Fishing Hole!

I love this time of year. Buzz Baits over weed beds or near timber, fast action, you miss about as many as you catch. No monsters, but several in the 1.5 to 2 pound range. Anyone else been wetting a line ?

Comments

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭

It has been a few years..........but when I was out in my tube.....which was any weekend I could......topwater was my absolute favorite.

First light, on some of my best ponds/tanks, was just about magical.

Most of the time I had to use weedless poppers or chuggers. As the sun got higher, I would usually go to weedless worms or jigs.

Once in a while, I could even manage a church pass......IF......I brought plenty of filet-a-la-largemouth to my MIL, for Sunday lunch. 😇

Great times........😃

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭

My departed brother loved to fish and bass fishing was top of his list

he had several mounted by a close friend who did such things for a living .I am not sure what become of them After he passed i hope his sons kept and use them as memories

RIP Scott

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

Buzz baits during the daytime is both fun and effective. My favorite top water lure at night has always been the Jitterbug. Sitting in a boat with just the moonlight and tossing a Jitterbug toward shore can be exciting. Hearing the soft plop/plop of the lure and then a watery explosion as Mr. Largemouth smacks it can get the heart beating a little faster. Good times. Bob

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭

My wife and I took my 94 year old father out on Flathead yesterday. We were trolling just south of Bigfork and hadn't had a bite all day and there were some pretty ugly looking squalls coming in. About the time we were getting ready to turn the boat around and head back to the dock he hooked a BIG ol' rainbow trout. We're still not sure what happened, but somehow it got away from us just as we got the net under it. It was easily a 20" fish and very colorful. He was pretty disappointed to have it get away until I told him we were gonna count it as landed, just like a 'gimme' in golf.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭

I went for smallmouth yesterday. Got to the lake a bit late, so didn't try topwater. But just before I was about to leave at 11, there was a huge topwater explosion right near me. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. I'll have a PopR rigged next time.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I fish just about every other day. Going out in the boat Thurs. I usually bank fish.

Love top water fishing!

RLTW

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve got these one rubber frogs I use, not sure what brand they are. I rig them with the hook for weeds, cast them on top of moss and then jump them to the edge of the moss, love it when they take it. Seems to me I do best with poppers early in the morning when water is really calm.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Over 4th of July I tried my topwater baits on the thick lilly pads. Never got a hit. My brother-in-law caught a twenty inch, three pound largemouth on a small worm at the edge of the lilly pads. The first one that size that he has caught on his small lake in twenty years in Southwest Michigan. Nice to know they are there.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭

I have been catching at least 6 every trip I take. Still no monsters, a few over 3lbs. Going to keep trying, the lake I fish in most often has had at least three 10lb plus caught and released there over the last 5 years.