In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help finding more info about a Llama Comanche .357

SLWczerSLWczer Member Posts: 1

My father gifted me a Llama Comanche .357 Magnum (6-shooter) as he is now on hospice. I can't find much about these, and could use some help identifying if it is a i, ii, or iii. Any idea of age or value would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

That is a III. The I was a .22 and the II was a .38 and the III was .357. They started making them in 1975 and were basically a S&W copy. If you go to the advanced search and check completed auctions, it looks like they are going for $350 - $500.

For example here is a current listing;

Bob

• kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭✭

Man, sorry to hear about your dad.

I have a Comanche II in .38 Special that I bought new in 1976 for $150. They use the K-frame and many parts will interchange with S&W parts. Good, well-made revolvers.

• FeelthySanchezFeelthySanchez Member Posts: 15

A cloned K-Frame S&W, featuring all steel construction & decent finish. Seldom seen any more.

These flooded the US market in the late '70s, & sold for well <$200. I considered getting one in '78, but chose a Python instead - for a whopping $419.

• yonsonyonson Member Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

There is some info about the company & product on Wikipedia.

• RMR22RMR22 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2023

I just picked up the same gun from a local gun show. The research I was able to find is that the "U1" stamped on the left side of the gun on the barrel area in front of the cylinder indicates a 1976 production date. Also this is not considered a Comanche III. Those started production from 1977 on and were stamped as such on the right side of the barrel. I think these older ones are a little more desirable to the guys that are into collecting these types of guns. I like mine because it's different. I can tell you I did not see another at the show. They are basically clones of Smith Wesson Model 19s. I did see many of those for sale. I think it's a cool piece just because of what it is. Good luck with yours and sorry about your father.

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭

The drawing I found shows that the Llama Comanche III has a coil mainspring and a frame firing pin, unlike Smiths of the period.

It does not show a hammer block or transfer bar, there is a part called a "hammer cam" and I wonder if it operates like one of the old top break revolvers, which had the hammer move up and down on and off the firing pin.