In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Favorite bullet weight for the Hornet

Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭

I've been shooting 45 grain bullets from my Ruger 77/22 (built in 1996). It's an accurate shooter, but since I'm reloading, I'd like to make it even more accurate if possible.

What you guys favor as far as bullets go when reloading the Hornet? Weight, shape, etc.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

35 gr. Hornady V-max, 13.5 gr. Lil'gun for 2946 fps or

40 gr Hornady V-max, 13 gr. Lil'gun for 2825 fps.

My Hornet is also a 77/22 (shipped in 1997).

• Options

Thanks for the input, @Ambrose . I'll probably build out 100 of your 35gr recipe.

I'm getting ready to load 100 rounds with a slightly heavier bullet:

• bullet: Hornaday 50 Grain SXSP
    • powder: 10 gr of Hodgdon 110
    • result: 2400fps

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

I've tried 10.5 gr. of H110 with the 45 gr. Remington HP for 2624 fps. I'm wondering if you might have stabilizing issues with the longer 50 gr. SP bullet but I haven't tried them. I haven't checked but I believe the twist in our rifles is 14". That works very well at .222 Remington speeds but at Hornet speeds it might be a little wobbly.

• Options
    edited August 2023

1-14 twist for our rifles.

The Hornaday bullet I chose has a high BC (for what it is) so I'm hoping for good things with the reload. But, if it stinks, it's only 100 rounds.

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

I shoot the 40 grain Vmax with 9.0 grains of 2400 powder. I have the Ruger 77/22. I found that 2400 gave me more accuracy out of my rifle, then LiL gun and some other powder. That is my gun though. Give it a try. I was reloading with sierra bullets, but the Vmax were better for me. Oakie

• Options

The initial range report with the 50grain bullets is encouraging. Pretty much the same accuracy as the Fiocchi factory loads (45 grain). I still need to move off to 100 yards for a better comparison.

I'm about to load 100 with 40 grain bullets and have a proper shootout comparison. Will update when it happens.