In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pipe Cutter for Shortening Barrel?

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2023 in Ask the Experts

Anyone ever use a pipe cutter to shorten a shotgun barrel? I have a Western Field Model 550CD, (Mossberg 500) 20 ga pump. I want to shorten the barrel to 18.25" removing the attached Variable Choke in the process.

It's a House gun that lives outside the safe. Not expensive, but reliable.

Anyone ever done this?

*Will do some file work to clean up the inside of the barrel.

Comments

• Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Using a pipe cutter will leave a ridge on the inside, you're better off using a hacksaw or cutoff wheel

• Options

Thanks dokie, that was kind of my thought as well.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

But if you're going to file anyway, it won't make much difference. I'm sure that a sawzall would leave some material inside that would need to be cleaned up any too, and the roll cutters would make a lot nicer, straight cut IMO. Go slow towards the end of the cut, it's the pressure on the cutting wheel that pushes the metal inward.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Try the pipe cutter and let us know the results, i.e., how much trouble it was to clean up the inside edge.

• Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭

I have never cut a shotgun barrel but I have used a pipe cutter on galvanized pipe quite a bit and it will leave a small amount of material on the inside but nothing that couldn't be cleaned up easily with a file. It also will probably be a straighter cleaner cut than a hack saw. Also toad gave some good advice on how to make the cut at the end.

• Options

Having used pipe cutters before, I pretty much know what it will leave on the inside of the barrel. Nothing that can not be cleaned up w/a half round file. I also thought the use of a pipe cutter would give me a nice, clean cut.

I appreciate everyone's input. I believe I will try the pipe cutter and file clean up method for this project. I will try and post results.

Thank's All.

• Options
    edited August 2023

Took 7.25" of barrel off just now. 9.25" if you include the Mossberg 2cm choke on the end. Shotgun is now much more what I need for it's intended use. (18.25" barrel now.)

The pipe cutter made a very nice, even cut. Not much left inside the barrel to clean up at all. Went slow and gentle with it. Very pleased with the results.

Going to see if a friend w/a Fabrication shop, can drill & tap the small hole in the tip of the barrel, in order to salvage the nice (screw in) Brass bead.

I was somewhat surprised at the thickness of the barrel, easily 3/16". It was not easy to cut. (Much higher grade of steel used vs. typical pipes.)

Appreciate the input.

*As an aside, my pipe cutter has in it's spine, a very nice high carbon, sharp edge triangular blade (just like a knife blade) that flicks out - in order to clean up the inside edge. It made a nice 45° angle on that inside edge. Cleaned it up very nicely. Will need very little file work. (Which I still plan on doing.)

Highly recommend this method. (For those interested in doing this.)

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

I have used a band saw to cut the barrel on an old Stevens. Came out nice.

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

Yes I have. Just clean out the inside of the barrel with a camper tool, and polish.

Replace the bead on the shortened barre.

• Options

Used the same method a couple days ago to take apprx. 10" off a single shot 12ga. (Crescent Red Chieftain.) Stevens. It also now sports a 18.25" barrel. Gonna give it to my Son as a House Gun, that can live outside the safe and be ready at a moments notice. I have a few like it around the house.

It can now be broken down to two 18.25" sections in a few seconds for a daypack.

This larger barrel was pretty tough to cut. In fact, it snapped the spine of my pipe cutter on the last go round before taking the barrel off. I live in the perfect part of the Country (see my sig line.) to come across nice old single shots like this. I'm a sucker for them and have a few.

This discussion has been closed.